Parrot bleeding from nail NEED ADVICE

wasabibestboi

Jun 19, 2023
Parrots
Two monk parakeets
I was cutting my parrot’s nail and cut the blood line. He bled for a bit and I wiped the blood away with tissue until he stopped. I then used rubbing alcohol pads to sanitize the nail but he bit the pad. Should I be worried about his injured nail and him ingesting a bit of alcohol? What should I do to ensure that he recovers?

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Oh, be careful that must really hurt when you cut into the quick.
It's good that is stopped bleeding.

Some people have cornstarch or a Styptic pencil to stop bleeding.
Whatever you do don't put wasabi on it. lol...?

Monk parakeets rock!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Right, if it has stopped bleeding, you are OK. I use corn starch to stop bleeding accidents. Stypic pens burn when used, so they are not the best thing.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
&
&
Right, if it has stopped bleeding, you are OK. I use corn starch to stop bleeding accidents. Stypic pens burn when used, so they are not the best thing.
Oh yeah. I forgot about that.
I tried one of those once when I cut myself shaving and man it freakin' hurt!
I screeched, "what the efff did I just put on my leg, wasabi??"

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
styptic powder you can bet on amazon....it's cheap.....get some in small vials.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
&
&
styptic powder you can bet on amazon....it's cheap.....get some in small vials.
Just remember as Wrench said, it STINGS.
I feel like I wrongly recommended that stuff.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I was cutting my parrot’s nail and cut the blood line. He bled for a bit and I wiped the blood away with tissue until he stopped. I then used rubbing alcohol pads to sanitize the nail but he bit the pad. Should I be worried about his injured nail and him ingesting a bit of alcohol? What should I do to ensure that he recovers?
Don't use alcohol or hydrogen peroxide on any open wounds! It stings very badly and kills healthy tissue in the wound. Soap and water is recommended for cleaning wounds.
You cannot and shouldn't try to sterilize a wound. Your bird's immune system will take care of any bacteria in the wound. If the wound develops worsening redness over the next several days you should take him to an avian vet for treatment.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Don't use alcohol or hydrogen peroxide on any open wounds! It stings very badly and kills healthy tissue in the wound. Soap and water is recommended for cleaning wounds.
You cannot and shouldn't try to sterilize a wound. Your bird's immune system will take care of any bacteria in the wound. If the wound develops worsening redness over the next several days you should take him to an avian vet for treatment.
Most alcohol pads contain isopropyl alcohol which is toxic when ingested but I doubt your bird swallowed enough to harm him.

WebMD verifies that neither isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) nor hydrogen peroxide should ever be used in wounds. It kills heathy tissue and delays healing.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
styptic powder....I use on myself.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Just remember as Wrench said, it STINGS.
I feel like I wrongly recommended that stuff.
It stings? not in my experience or my birds experience? It's just a powder that clots blood in under a second.

I use it on myself....

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It stings? not in my experience or my birds experience? It's just a powder that clots blood in under a second.

I use it on myself....
My vet's office sells little containers of stypic powder for all pets' bleeding nails.
Its a good thing to have on hand for your birds and for your own little cuts.

Most Reactions

Latest posts