Parrotlet has coming and going lump below neck with no feathers. Any insight is appreciated!

juliagrace31

Jan 4, 2024
Parrots
Parrotlet
Hi! I have an 11 year old parrotlet, and as of a month ago I noticed her losing feathers below her neck to the point where there’s practically no feathers left in that area. I had worried that it was over plucking due to malnutrition or stress, so I put her on a primarily pellet/vegetable diet, and she doesn’t show any signs of stress throughout the day. Once all the feathers were gone, I noticed a large lump in that space but it would go away the next day. I’ve been keeping an eye on it, and it seems like it is completely normal (no lump) until we give her seeds/millet (so when she eats a lot). I’ve looked it up and can’t seem to find anyone with a similar issue, and will bring her into the vet this week. Other than the lump and feather loss she seems to be in perfect condition and acts like her usual happy self. I have attached photos of what it looks like after she eats. Her feathers also begin to grow back, but then it gets swollen and we seem to go back to square one.
IMG_0818.jpeg
IMG_0828.jpeg
IMG_0829.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0825.jpeg
    IMG_0825.jpeg
    246.2 KB · Views: 6

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

It appears your baby is most likely plucking her feathers out.
The lump is her crop, filling with food, and then emptying in her stomach. This is completely normal and all parrots do this, only, it’s hard to see if they’re feathered.
I’d still bring her to the vet for bloodwork, to see if there’s a medical reason for her plucking.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
What Zero said... it might even be a crop bulge due to a hernia or something... I have no idea and I tend to catastrophize! Plucking: the bane of the captive parrot world, yes.
Maybe this list will help? Good luck.
Most of us swear by our avian vets in the event of health concerns.
Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts