Perfect Polly. REALLY?

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
TV ads have been popping up for this. First I thought it was a joke, but I guess they think millions of Americans are going to buy this thing, otherwise why pay for the commercials. Here's Colbert's take on Perfect Polly.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/428838/september-04-2013/perfect-polly

Tried to embed it, but didn't seem to work.

<embed style="display:block" src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:video:colbertnation.com:428838" width="288" height="247" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" allowFullscreen="true" flashvars="autoPlay=false" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" bgcolor="#000000"></embed>

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
OMG My son showed me the commercials for this, we laugh each time we see the ad !Thanks for sharing Colbert's take on Perfect Polly, it is Hilarious !

I actually think it would be the perfect parrot for some people though. Think of how many rehomes this could save ? Instead of getting a parrot then rehoming it because it is loud or too much work, they could have the Perfect Polly . Brilliant idea even if the ads are quite silly.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
Didn't they use to make these years ago as parakeet toys? It was a little plastic bird that sat on the perch and when the real bird moved it it tweeted at them? This looks like they upgraded it with a head movement and a magnet base. So now instead of tricking a parakeet they have a friend they are trying to trick the humans....*facepalm*

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
C'mon everyone! No poop! No bites! No mess! No loud noise! No worry about going away! If kids get bored with it, just put it away in a closet! Sounds Perfect! :D :rolleyes: NOT!!!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Aw, vid not available in my country.

I do agree though, it's probably a great thing for people who can't deal with the actual upkeep of a real bird! ;)

My family considered getting my gran some budgies or something, to keep her company, (she has alzhiemers and was partially blind at the time but had people coming in daily). I refused outright incase she 'forgot' they needed to be caged, fell and hurt them, etcetc. But something like this would have kept her company, without the worry of it being a real pet!

So I think the 'idea' of it is great, but I can't see the ad. :p

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
lol, thanks for sharing this video!

I like Perfect Polly, that way people can get that instead of a real parrot. I find it hilarious how "perfect Polly" doesn't even sound like a parakeet XD "look what you turned me into, I'm a monster" LOL

Last edited:

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Do you know how many times i have had people stop me to ask: "is that a real bird on your shoulder?" (um, yeah, because everyone walks around with a pretend bird???) Apparently, now you CAN walk around with PERFECT POLLY. SMH
Good Grief.

ZoeyFredrik

Aug 1, 2013
Parrots
Sammy- Quaker Parrot;
Josephine- IRN;
Fredrik, Phoebe, Skyler, & Alexander -Budgies- *Zoey* (Budgie) R.I.P <3
I had seen the Perfect Polly on the internet before. But I did catch the Colbert Report the other night and saw the bit. I could not stop laughing. I had tears in my eyes. Apparently Sam thought it was funny, as he was laughing as well. The little budgie (the Imperfect Polly) was adorable. :)

I too have been asked if the parrot on my shoulder was fake. I stayed at a hotel once with Sammy, I took him on walks around the building. In the elevator I had some people asked me if my parrot was animatronic. I had to try so hard not to laugh. Sam is a plucker, so he was missing feathers and had the protective collar around his neck. I felt like saying yes, I plucked my fake parrot, and put a collar on it. Sam loved the attention though, lol. :D

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I had seen the Perfect Polly on the internet before. But I did catch the Colbert Report the other night and saw the bit. I could not stop laughing. I had tears in my eyes. Apparently Sam thought it was funny, as he was laughing as well. The little budgie (the Imperfect Polly) was adorable. :)

I too have been asked if the parrot on my shoulder was fake. I stayed at a hotel once with Sammy, I took him on walks around the building. In the elevator I had some people asked me if my parrot was animatronic. I had to try so hard not to laugh. Sam is a plucker, so he was missing feathers and had the protective collar around his neck. I felt like saying yes, I plucked my fake parrot, and put a collar on it. Sam loved the attention though, lol. :D

Haha, yes! I'm always like "are you blind?!" (in my head!) when people ask if Merlin's real. Generally he's in his travel cage too... why on earth would I carry a fake bird around in a bulky heavy travel cage...? Who knows.

Silly people. They do seem to love seeing a real bird out and about though!

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Flora- Panama Amazon
I too get the " is that a real parrot " . It cracks me up. My son once told a person who asked that, that we were real life pirates , the person actually fell for it and asked questions about us being pirates. People crack me up !

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
LOL I've been asked that so many times with Rosie. The two questions nearly every will ask is "is she an African grey" or "is it real?"

Whenever they ask me if she's real I say "no" and watch their reaction lol

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
OMG..I am laughing so hard I am snorting. That video was just so funny....*dies*

I think I might have one of those things somewhere in this house. I bought it for Lupe after her grandmother died (she use to breed budgies) as a comfort kinda thing now I wanna try to dig that sucker up and activate it. I will carry it around making all my imperfect parrots jealous. They will probably kill the poor perfect polly. Now I just HAVE to find that thing now.

After Joaquin my Eclectus came home he was so afraid I needed to help build his confidence so I use to take him everywhere with me. I remember during one of our trips I took him to the bank. He was hanging onto the front collar of my tee shirt and was very still. He use to love to hang out on me on my chest this way. I walked up to the teller to make my transaction and Joaquin moved his head. "Is that a real bird?" She asked me. Joaquin stares at her with one eye. "Umm..yes. I have never worn a broach this large in my life." LMAO.

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Flora- Panama Amazon
I found several more of these type of fake birds on the market.
This one repeats what you say to it :
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Aids-Talking-Parrot-Pete-Repeat/dp/B000EIFWNS]Amazon.com: Pete the Repeat Parrot: Toys & Games[/ame]

This one is actually X Rated !
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/POLLY-THE-X-RATED-TALKING-PARROT/dp/B002WZX65M/ref=pd_sim_t_5]Amazon.com: POLLY THE X-RATED TALKING PARROT: Everything Else[/ame]

These are so hilarious ! I really should get the repeat one and see what Ruby does when it repeats what she says.

We really have had fun with this thread ! Sometimes all we need is a good laugh !

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
Video not available to me here either (but I saw the infomercial on you tube). The whole head turning thing is kinda freaky! :eek:

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
Maybe we should buy some! I just checked on the price of the FurReal Macaw Squawkers. HE is now almost half the price of a real one!!!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-FurReal-Friends-Squawkers-Parrot/dp/B000OV7A62]Amazon.com: Hasbro FurReal Friends Squawkers McCaw Parrot: Toys & Games[/ame]

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
So you should pin this thread and the next time someone asks what the best parrot for them is stating they don't have much time etc... just send them here LOL

Most Reactions

Latest posts