Plexiglass walls for your birdcage = game changer! (if you want/need to minimize the mess)

Esther

Jan 16, 2024
Parrots
1 Quaker Parrot (Chopper)
Hi, I just wanted to share a great DIY hack that has greatly improved our bird setup and cleanup routine: plexiglass walls.

This is an excellent option if you, or someone in your household, is unhappy living amidst bird "residue" - and wants a cleaner setup.

Inspired by this article, https://pethelpful.com/birds/Easy-Hacks-to-Help-Mess-Proof-Your-Bird-Cage, we cut three pieces of plexiglass to the width of three sides of our bird cage, and hang them from the top of the cage using S-hooks. This ensures that no seeds, feathers, etc., will escape three sides of the cage. Unlike the article, we decided to forego the seed guard, and instead cut "long plexiglass walls" so that all seed and bird residue falls to the mat underneath the cage. Every night, we replace the paper liner in her cage and vacuum/wipe the mat and floor area underneath her cage (and of course periodically we clean the plexiglass walls and cage itself). The plexiglass walls have made a HUGE difference - so much easier to clean and I even think our bird is happier with this setup. See pictures below.

If you go about this, I recommend finding a vendor who will cut the plexiglass and drill the holes for the S-hooks for you. Canal Plastics in NYC is where we went (after trying and failing to do it at home using a hand-held plexiglass /acrylic cutting tool :ROFLMAO: ).

You should, of course, also be sure to purchase s-hooks made in a metal that is safe for birds, such as stainless steel.

If you have any other hacks related to keeping your bird area clean, I'd be glad to hear them!

Screen Shot 2024-01-17 at 9.55.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-23 at 3.51.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-23 at 4.14.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-23 at 3.31.06 PM.png

Last edited:
OP
E

Esther

Jan 16, 2024
Parrots
Not a bad idea at all!
Thanks! I love it so much - no more bird residue stuck to our walls :) It's great for apartment / indoor dwelling birds.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Good idea especially for those messy eaters out there, you know who you are 😉

sandra1

Jan 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
sun conure
pineapple conure
That is so awesome. I'm assuming the glass is on the outside of the cage correct? Also how thick is it?

OP
E

Esther

Jan 16, 2024
Parrots
That is so awesome. I'm assuming the glass is on the outside of the cage correct? Also how thick is it?
Yes! It hangs on the outside. I used 3 Clear Colorless Acrylic Sheets that are 0.060" (1.5mm) thick. The holes were drilled 1 inch from the left and right sides, and 3/4 inch from the top. If I were doing it again, I would drill holes closer to the edge (maybe 1/2 inch from left/right and top edges) so that it works with different types of s-hooks. But as you can see in the pictures, I got it to work just fine using key rings + s-hooks.

I can't tell you what a difference this has made in our home! And it doesn't impact our bird at all! She is blissfully unaware, and probably a little warmer because of it.

mish22

Jul 9, 2013
Media
Hi, I just wanted to share a great DIY hack that has greatly improved our bird setup (and cleanup routine): plexiglass walls.

Inspired by this article, https://pethelpful.com/birds/Easy-Hacks-to-Help-Mess-Proof-Your-Bird-Cage, we cut three pieces of plexiglass to the width of three sides of our bird cage, and hang them from the top of the cage using S-hooks. This ensures that no seeds, feathers, etc., will escape three sides of the cage. Unlike the article, we decided to forego the seed guard, and instead cut "long plexiglass walls" so that all seed and bird residue falls to the mat underneath the cage. Every night, we replace the paper liner in her cage and vacuum/wipe the mat and floor area underneath her cage (and of course periodically we clean the plexiglass walls and cage itself). The plexiglass walls have made a HUGE difference - so much easier to clean and I even think our bird is happier with this setup. See pictures below.

If you go about this, I recommend finding a vendor who will cut the plexiglass and drill the holes for the S-hooks for you. Canal Plastics in NYC is where we went (after trying and failing to do it at home using a hand-held plexiglass /acrylic cutting tool :ROFLMAO: ).

If you have any other hacks related to keeping your bird area clean, I'd be glad to hear them!

View attachment 57245View attachment 57247

View attachment 57248

View attachment 57249
I know my vet and avairy friend was never a fan of this because of air flow and respitory issues . The bird being in the kitchen brings up concerns cooking with the right pots and just smells and oils buring off may not be the best place the the little one ..

OP
E

Esther

Jan 16, 2024
Parrots
I know my vet and avairy friend was never a fan of this because of air flow and respitory issues . The bird being in the kitchen brings up concerns cooking with the right pots and just smells and oils buring off may not be the best place the the little one ..
Unfortunately, our space is a little limited, and when we didn't have her in the kitchen, she was tucked away without many visitors, so I actually think she's much happier now (more foot traffic, more interaction, more out time). But I hear your point - ideally, we'd have an amazing outdoor aviary for her, and an indoor one too. And frankly, ideally we'd have another bird for her, but it just isn't in the cards (I do feel guilty about this; she would 100% be happier with a companion.)

I should probably have said that this is a "game changer" for the household that requires an "easier to clean" setup. Also, in our setup, the plexiglass starts a couple of inches below the top of the cage, and since our birds is almost always at the top of her cage when she's in it, I just don't think air flow is a significant issue. (Of course, in our bird setup, I do weight "ease of cleaning" very heavily, and the improvement to cleanliness - both for us and our bird - makes this setup great for our family.)

Last edited:

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I believe another member on this forum, DonnaBudgie, has custom made plexiglass cages for her budgies. From what she’s said, her birds seem to do well in them and it really helps keep down mess and dust.

OP
E

Esther

Jan 16, 2024
Parrots
I believe another member on this forum, DonnaBudgie, has custom made plexiglass cages for her budgies. From what she’s said, her birds seem to do well in them and it really helps keep down mess and dust.
We would never go back. Our bird is thriving, and it never smells like bird in our apartment anymore :) @DonnaBudgie - would love to hear about your setup. I'm always looking for improvements.

Most Reactions

Latest posts