Proud new owner of an Eclectus

ConnieGibson

Oct 25, 2013
Clermont, FL
Parrots
Eclectus
This is our first bird. We have always had dogs and have wanted to try something different. I did a lot of research and decided that an Eclectus was the best choice for us. I looked a longtime for one and finally decided on a 4 year old female named Tabby. I was a little nervous about buying her because she wanted nothing to do with me for the 2 hours I spent there. But I remembered reading that it takes a while for them to warm up to strangers. The people I purchased her from we're very friendly, practically begged me to take her and gave me a deal I just could not pass up. I was a little nervous thinking something was wrong with her but they had do children probably around 7 and 9 who were handling the bird so thought it cant be that bad. I did not get home with her until about 9:30 Wednesday night. I put her carrier on top her cage and as soon as I put out her food in the cage out she came.

Thursday morning she did allow me to hold her just as long as I did not touch her.

I went out to run some errands and came home to Tabby whistling for me and when I came around to see her she gave me what the previous owners called her pretty girl stance. From there on, she was clung to my hand and allowed me to pet her and hung out with me the rest of the day (Finally sat on my shoulder, she's a little heavy to carry around on my hand all day).

I know it's only Friday but I am absolutely in love with her. I think she is very happy also because after I put her back in her cage Thursday night (had to read about what she was doing) she would purr as they call it (I think it is more of a beautiful cooing noise) followed by grinding her beaks together. From what I read that means she is content and relaxed.

My only concern is her diet. I've done a lot of reading and everyone states she needs fruits and veggies in the morning. She was only being feed seeds and obviously human food as she does beg when I'm eating. So this morning I gave her a wide assortment. I gave her kale, celery, carrot, sugar snap pea, green bean, banana, apple, grape, kiwi, bell pepper, blackberry and raspberry. She would not eat any of it. She choose her seeds over it. Any suggestions on changing her diet so she is eating healthier?

Last edited:

Kimma

Oct 11, 2013
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Flash - DF violet Indian Ringneck. Crash - lutino Indian Ringneck
That is awesome that she's taken to you so quickly. Sounds like you're going to do great together.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Well done, Connie. You won't regret getting an eccy. We recently bought a pair of eccies, not especially bonded, and neither will eat much in the way of greens or vegies despite them being put out for them (they share a verandah with a lorikeet, a corella, a 'tiel and our hand-raised eccy Alex (who does eat some greens, peppers and corn, but also prefers seed).

Our birds will eat multigrain bread, but that's not really helping with the non-vegie diet. Try some chilis, our birds are attracted to them and chew on them although most ends up on the floor (to be eaten by the corella). If you can get them, pomegranate are very popular with most fruit-eaters.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I would recommend that you keep offering a variety of fresh fruits and veggies. If she's not used to having them it may take her some time before she's willing to try new foods.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Others with more eccy experience will pipe up, but if you're home I'd just give her the fruits and veggies with no seeds first and then later you can give the seeds.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
We are going thru much the same experience with our new Bare Eyed Cockatoo. One thing I would recommend trying to get her eating fruits / veggies as quickly as possible, is making up birdie bread using a cornbread base. I pureed veggies and fruits and added to the bread so she gets the nutritional value.

I did the same thing you did at first and put out a bunch of different options, also with nothing being touched. The last couple days I've only put out one or two veggies and in the same bowl with her favorites (cooked bean mix and birdie bread). This morning she picked at a cucumber which was a first. I also tried a hanging skewer, but that actually seemed to intimidate her more then entice her! I did use a wooden skewer (broke off the sharp point end) and put it in the corner between bars with a section of corn on the cob, she also picked at that.

Another poster here suggested trying a chop salad offering, which worked for her, but Ivory is not a forager, she will just pass on a mixed bowl versus looking thru for something she likes. We are trying to entice the foraging instinct with parchment paper, lunch bags and such, and hiding pistachios in them.

An eckie was actually my first choice for a larger bird (we have cockatiels and conures). But we happened across our Bare Eyed Cockatoo when we were not looking or planning on adding a new bird, but there was no doubt by anyone that she belonged with us and stumbling across her was one of those 'meant to be' type of things that happens in life.

My only advice at this point is to be persistent, keeping offering items. If she does like to eat with the family (her flock), make up a plate of veggies and fruits for her to have when you eat. Or sit down with an apple and cut her a slice while you are eating, she may want to eat whatever you are, so if you eat what you want her to have, she may try something new!

And for the seed diet.... she'll definitely need healthier diet then just seed. Our avian vet suggested Nutriberries to help convert over to pellet. We've always had them as treats and most birds love them, but they are pellet based with seeds to entice the birds.

Good luck!! It sounds like she is very happy being in the home with you and I am sure she'll learn new eating habits! :rolleyes:

Jen

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
Congratulations on your new feather child!!!! She sounds adorable and like she took to you right away. How fabulous for you!! As for the seed, if Oliver had his druthers he'd totally eat seed, so I only give him a teaspoon mixed with other healthy treats and place it in his forager so he can use his mind and entertain himself while I'm at work. I leave a fresh mix of fruits in the morning and fresh fruit and veggies in the afternoon while I'm at work. At night I make this mush with grains and veggies which he loves. Also, in the morning I give him a mush pancake that resembles my food (which he begs for!) so he can enjoy and bond with me yet get the right nutrition for him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts