Question about feathers

RioTheMacaw

May 17, 2021
I never really gave it much thought but my yellow collared macaw always has new feathers growing around his neck, even if it’s not his molting time. It doesn’t bother him but is this normal??

I know the normal molting since he gets it a lot more but throughout the year he has maybe 7-10 always on his neck. How concern should I be??

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Parrots kept indoors, with a un-natural cold-warm "seasonal" cycle (ie its the same temperature basically all year) can have molts pretty much all the time. My Amazon always has a few pin feathers coming out all the time.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The larger the Parrot the more they move general molting to near fully around the year. Point is, when they are molting their large flight feathers they vastly slow replacing body feathers. The neck feathers tend to get twisted as the head turns and as a result will be replaced a bit more often that other feathers it is also and area that they adjust the volume of feather based on time of year. Tend to have more during the Winter months and fewer during the Summer months.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
My blue and gold pretty much molts all year round.

I am amazed at how he can produce so many feathers.

OP
R

RioTheMacaw

May 17, 2021
Parrots kept indoors, with a un-natural cold-warm "seasonal" cycle (ie its the same temperature basically all year) can have molts pretty much all the time. My Amazon always has a few pin feathers coming out all the time.
So it shouldn’t be something too concerning if it’s just the neck part

Most Reactions

Latest posts