question regarding metal and safety for parrots

l0qo

Aug 5, 2023
Parrots
sun conure
I know most of the common toxic metals for birds like copper, zinc, etc. im having trouble finding any definitive answers regartding carbon steel with a cold finish though. the few things i find just discuss it as a cookware. im wondering as a perch though. im making my conure a simple perch to look out the window and i have some carbon steel rods that would be perfect.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I know most of the common toxic metals for birds like copper, zinc, etc. im having trouble finding any definitive answers regartding carbon steel with a cold finish though. the few things i find just discuss it as a cookware. im wondering as a perch though. im making my conure a simple perch to look out the window and i have some carbon steel rods that would be perfect.
Good question. I can't give you a definitive answer regarding its toxicity for birds but I can't tell you this... Carbon steel rusts.

I'm not sure if that's a problem for birds but iv avoided using steel rods as perches just in case. Mild steel rods have a black mill scale finish which I don't know is ok for birds either

On the other hand cages are made from steel and painted so it may not be as big a problem as I think.

Stainless steel would be the safest metal to use. It doesn't rust and is the most hygienic metal

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
What if you attached wood perches to the metal structure so the bird does not have to touch the metal?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Plain carbon steel rods, that have no rust or mill scale on them would be OK. Cold and smooth enough to not really give the claws a decent hold, but still OK. But - rust quickly forms on carbon steel and that is not good. And cages, tho made of steel, are not painted but powder coated, a process that leave a really hard and incredibly tough coating on the cage materials. Regular paint is too soft and can be chipped off easily, and paint chips are not on you parrots menu!

Most Reactions

Latest posts