REALLY regret moving into my condo because my neighbor is putting my condo in serious

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Tropical, there was a movement passed after Katrina to make Shelters seeking FEMA assistance accept all pets, which most public ones do ask for help

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pets_Evacuation_and_Transportation_Standards_Act

essentially they cannot refuse you but it has to be FEMA assisted so try finding your nearest FEMA shelter. They may ask that the bird stay in a room separate from the human residents and they ask for animals to be suitable housed in cages/kennels so as to avoid fighting (which is fair all things considered) but they can't turn them away. May be a bit scary for them being near other animals but better than the alternative. I've also seen that many exotic pet shops are offering to board parrots during the hurricane. And hey, who knows maybe Silversage may be willing to bring the count in her home up to 70 haha

As for roaches I did look into this when I had a small problem a few weeks ago and found something interesting about roaches, which is they're not as dirty as everyone believes. Essentially they're drawn to dark damp spaces near food. Many actually live in bathrooms (often the cleanest room in the house) under the tub. To see them just means that there is a food supply nearby. I had to look into this as I had some even though my place is pretty clean compared to other people's homes I've been in

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
I suppose there are different types of policies, but the umbrella policies I've heard of are for liability, not damage to your own property. If someone gets hurt on your property, or because of your negligence, and your homeowner's or auto insurance doesn't pay out enough, then umbrella policy insurance would kick in.

The solution to this problem, however, is simple. Before he gets back to town, throw rocks through each of his windows. He will think the hurricane damaged them, and he will have to replace them. Hopefully replacing them with hurricane windows, or at least being convinced to board up next time. Problem solved. (I'm kidding. Mostly.)

Katu

May 27, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Male blue budgie!
I suppose there are different types of policies, but the umbrella policies I've heard of are for liability, not damage to your own property. If someone gets hurt on your property, or because of your negligence, and your homeowner's or auto insurance doesn't pay out enough, then umbrella policy insurance would kick in.

The solution to this problem, however, is simple. Before he gets back to town, throw rocks through each of his windows. He will think the hurricane damaged them, and he will have to replace them. Hopefully replacing them with hurricane windows, or at least being convinced to board up next time. Problem solved. (I'm kidding. Mostly.)

Haha, that didn't even occur to me. My husband would probably take a baseball bat to the windows to prove the point, but I know that's not right. :D

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!

LOL if I'm being perfectly honest that thought did cross my mind SEVERAL TIMES. All units here also have two HUGE (extra large) sliding glass doors (they are not the standard size!) and then 3 more windows. My condo is an end unit so I have a LOT more windows than that :eek:

HOA here FORCES you to get hurricane impact glass if you have to replace a window though.... I used too think that is a bad thing... but not anymore.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I asked HOA about this and they replied with:

"The association cannot make people do anything. It would take a majority of the people to vote in favor of a mandatory boarding up.
And that might not be constitutional to force people to do something to their own property."

So that's what HOA said... in my opinion I think this is REALLY unfair... because if someone wants to play russian roulette with their own house that's totally cool... but NOT when your choices affect others living in the same building! Being in a condo is basically sharing a big house with others... and if certain people don't care about their property by at LEAST boarding up their windows with plywood, if they don't have shutters or hurricane impact glass, it affects the surrounding units in a HUGE way! :( HOA has so many rules, many of which are so petty it's not even funny... yet this serious issue is brushed under the rug. I also live in a very small community.. I mean this community is MASSIVE... but my section is small... only about 76 condos.

That is IMO a weak and ineffectual HOA! They "can't make people do anything" but if you paint your door pink or place disco lights on your patio they will hound you mercilessly. A shame they cannot enforce measures to protect in measures of life and death. That said, I don't have any direct experience with HOAs so others may be better than this.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I lease a car and was told even if my ca was totaled in the hurricane that I have nothing to worry about because car leases force FULL protection... is this true? .. and does this affect an umbrella policy? Thanks!

Haven't leased in a long while, but check to see if yours has a "gap policy." If your car gets totaled the leasing company generally expects the balance of remaining payments. Very likely the fair market value payoff from the insurance company will be less. That leaves a "gap" leasing companies will expect you to pay unless your contract waives - generally for an extra fee agreed at signing.

As far as an Umbrella Policy is concerned, most are strictly for liability to protect you when sued. Check the fine print, you can get insurance for most anything if willing to pay!

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
I asked HOA about this and they replied with:

"The association cannot make people do anything. It would take a majority of the people to vote in favor of a mandatory boarding up.
And that might not be constitutional to force people to do something to their own property."

So that's what HOA said... in my opinion I think this is REALLY unfair... because if someone wants to play russian roulette with their own house that's totally cool... but NOT when your choices affect others living in the same building! Being in a condo is basically sharing a big house with others... and if certain people don't care about their property by at LEAST boarding up their windows with plywood, if they don't have shutters or hurricane impact glass, it affects the surrounding units in a HUGE way! :( HOA has so many rules, many of which are so petty it's not even funny... yet this serious issue is brushed under the rug. I also live in a very small community.. I mean this community is MASSIVE... but my section is small... only about 76 condos.

That is IMO a weak and ineffectual HOA! They "can't make people do anything" but if you paint your door pink or place disco lights on your patio they will hound you mercilessly. A shame they cannot enforce measures to protect in measures of life and death. That said, I don't have any direct experience with HOAs so others may be better than this.

That's a good point! LOL :) They can indeed hound you mercilessly and fine you for painting your door a different color but when it comes to life and death matters they won't do ANYTHING to those who are putting others sharing the same building at serious risk.

I've always lived in houses where there was no HOA so living in a condo that has HOA is a brand new experience for me. :eek:

I have seen what can happen when a neighbor does not board up their windows in a condo environment and it's not pretty! The pressure inside the home once the hurricane force winds get inside is a monster which can most definitely start demolishing walls and these walls are thin! I can hear my neighbor cough!! (it's not a pleasant sounding cough either LOL) ... but you would think HOA would care more since the exterior is also at risk.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts