Red-Sided or Vosmaeri?

lpolliard

Sep 1, 2012
Media
Mission Viejo CA
Parrots
Male Eclectus ~25 years old (rescue)
Chico is a 25 year old Eclectus male that my daughter and ex had rescued more than 5 years ago. I have taken over his care and I am curious as to his sub-species. I believe he is either a Red-Sided or a Vosmaeri. I was hoping there was someone on this forum who has experience with both who could tell the difference.

Here are some details which I believe has narrowed the selection to these two sub-species. He is large, currently weighing in at 500 grams. The Vet has confirmed he is of appropriate weight for his frame. He also has a dark reddish orange or burnt amber eye ringlet. I have posted several pictures in the gallery that can be access through my profile information above to the right.

Here are some other notable characteristics which may help in identification.

He has a rather large blocky or squared head. The area between his eyes is more flat than rounded.
His upper beak has a red tint to it. Redder than most.
He seems to be a darker (forest) green rather than lime-green.
His tail is tipped with a pail yellow on a black feather from underneath.
His tail feathers are more rounded than square and I would consider them rather long.

Reference sites:
The Eclectus Group: male comparison table
Subspecies ID

Your opinion is appreciated.

Last edited:

Adinafloyd

Jul 8, 2012
Slaughter, La
Parrots
Jax (CAG)
Scarlet (Ekkie)
Toot (TAG)
(YNA-Nappy, Gone but never ever far from my heart)
I would lean toward the red sided based on your description and internet sites. Its hard to tell as they are so similar. I cant say for sure. Im sure someone on here can help. Good luck

Most Reactions

Latest posts