Rehomed DYH Diet Transition

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so happy to read your update!
Please discontinue everything electrolytes unless your vet told you to. I only do that one time only. Its very easy to cause an imbalance.

I'm cautious about making a mix if pellets abd Kaytee formula. Kaytee is nutritionally complete diet in its own. Pellets are complete in their own, to mix you might over load her on certain vitamins. Which can be hard on kidney and liver... I'd either make your own. Ir stick with the formula. Those are just my thoughts...

Has she gained any weight?

So happy you posted.

OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
Lima (black capped caique), Tambo (scarlet macaw), Ringo (red fronted macaw), Richard (eclectus), Carina (b&g macaw), Ebony (African Grey), Zeke (red lored zon), Bonfire (DYH zon)
So I just got off the phone with the vet. Bonfire has hepatitis, which accounts for the swelling in her abdomen and weakness in her limbs. We will have a follow up appointment in about 12 days. He thought the electrolyte solution was a very good idea, so I’ll continue that maybe once a day. She had a very good day today. I spent more time in the great room where she’s been living and she made efforts to vocalize quite a bit. Still a lot of resting. Appetite has been good. Thank you all so much for your interest and support. It has meant so much to me this past week as I live in an area that’s not so friendly to these kinds of things. This process has been exhausting but seeing her improve is gratifying. I will weigh her this evening.

OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
Lima (black capped caique), Tambo (scarlet macaw), Ringo (red fronted macaw), Richard (eclectus), Carina (b&g macaw), Ebony (African Grey), Zeke (red lored zon), Bonfire (DYH zon)
Thanks for asking! It’s been slow but good. Bonfire had lost weight upon her return visit to the vet. Her strength and overall energy are improving. She is off all meds. I’m still hand feeding her. I found that watering down the purée has helped immensely. I’ve also ordered every fun and interesting food available to parrots and we continue to try to get her interested in new things. She likes freeze dried sprouts! She nibbled on a Brazil nut that I opened for her, but didn’t go after it the same way my other parrots do. She has another check up on the 25th and that’s my target for getting her weight back up to where it was. She enjoys the company of the other birds...I had her outside one day when it was really warm and she was vocal and positive. Sometimes she still seems very weak, puffed up and into herself. It’s hard to know how much to push her versus give her space.

EVPEQYs.jpg

Attachments

• 5875511F-25E8-41F5-9126-0E2CC78A56D2.jpg
    5875511F-25E8-41F5-9126-0E2CC78A56D2.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited by a moderator:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so glad she is hanging in there!!! Fingers crossed for weight gain!

Peachypink

Jan 25, 2021
Parrots
Lola-Mexican Red Headed Amazon
So good to hear an update! Keep it up, you’re doing awesome!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Keep in mind if you make food to watery you are displacing the food with calories and filling them up with water. Often first time hand raised babies are feed to watery and abd fail to gain weight.

Most Reactions