Rescued Cockatoo

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, deep respect for rescuing Liara! You'll find great synergies between caring for a parrot and PTSD.

Your initial instincts are excellent; baseline visit with certified avian vet will be helpful as is diet modification. Cockatoos are extremely stubborn, but over time they will adapt.

Regardless of pellet type, I'd recommend trying Harrison's Foods conversion protocol. Worked with my 6 cockatoos and 2 other species:
https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/large-bird-conversion/

I'd recommend perusing the "sticky" (top of forum) threads in the Parrot Food forum. A favored technique is to prepare two bowls of fresh veggies/fruits aka "chop." Place one in front of Liara, begin eating from your bowl. Make "mmmm" sounds, bob your head in show of enthusiasm. Parrots are flock eaters, and you are part of the flock! Be persistent, birds will dis foods for months or years and one day become curious and enjoy.

As others recommend, begin to curtail the high fat/sodium/sugar human foods. You'll make inroads and affect blood chemistry, but lab tests will prove instructive.

OP
C

Csprin1

Jan 24, 2020
North Carolina
Parrots
Liara - umbrella
Kasumi - cockatiel
9 parakeets and they all look alike, so it's really hard to keep up with their names lol
Ok, thanks!!

I actually have another question. I have been playing detective here, trying to pinpoint her age. They gave me a vague, "the vet said her band mean 40-60 years old." Which is what I initially found in a quick Google search. This is another thing that makes me believe that she was never vetted.

She has an open metal band that is almost impossible to read. Just the first letter, C.

From what I have found, this means she was a mature bird that was imported into the stated, through California. That they only put those open metal bands on a mature birds foot. Apparently, prior to 1992, they had these as identification. So, I don't know how old she was when she came into the states, just that she is 28+ what ever age she was before she came into the states. And that age has to be a mature aged bird.

I am also reading that in captivity, most umbrella cockatoos do not make it long past 40. This obviously stresses me out, thinking she is going to croak on me any day, now. I cannot wait until her appointment to get a health check done on her!!

Does anyone know anything about these silver, open bands?

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Ok, thanks!!

I actually have another question. I have been playing detective here, trying to pinpoint her age. They gave me a vague, "the vet said her band mean 40-60 years old." Which is what I initially found in a quick Google search. This is another thing that makes me believe that she was never vetted.

She has an open metal band that is almost impossible to read. Just the first letter, C.

From what I have found, this means she was a mature bird that was imported into the stated, through California. That they only put those open metal bands on a mature birds foot. Apparently, prior to 1992, they had these as identification. So, I don't know how old she was when she came into the states, just that she is 28+ what ever age she was before she came into the states. And that age has to be a mature aged bird.

I am also reading that in captivity, most umbrella cockatoos do not make it long past 40. This obviously stresses me out, thinking she is going to croak on me any day, now. I cannot wait until her appointment to get a health check done on her!!

Umbrella cockatoos can live pass 60 years easy and likely up to 80 and the oldest known cockatoo in the world lived to be 125 years of age. With what’s known about Fred specifically — he’s thought to have been born right around the time of the start of the First World War. He was kept as a family pet for a number of decades, until his last owner dies away and left him to the wildlife sanctuary. He’s been there for at least the past 20 years, was know to live up to age of 125. They actually live longer if well taken care of in captive, then in the wild. In the wild they don't live as long due to environment. That bird may actually outlive you?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leLc7Uj6UH8"]Meet Duster, the 89-year-old Umbrella-Crested Cockatoo - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
OP
C

Csprin1

Jan 24, 2020
North Carolina
Parrots
Liara - umbrella
Kasumi - cockatiel
9 parakeets and they all look alike, so it's really hard to keep up with their names lol
Ok, thanks!!

Umbrella cockatoos can live pass 60 years easy and likely up to 80 and one was know to live up to age of 125. They actually live longer if well taken care of in captive, then in the wild. In the wild they don't live as long due to environment.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leLc7Uj6UH8"]Meet Duster, the 89-year-old Umbrella-Crested Cockatoo - YouTube[/ame]

Good to know lol because from what I have found, she is an old lady. lol

Thanks a lot for all of your help, everyone.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
careful with cockatoos and boxes--- that shredding thing with a box tends to be very hormonal even though they all are drawn to it.

OP
C

Csprin1

Jan 24, 2020
North Carolina
Parrots
Liara - umbrella
Kasumi - cockatiel
careful with cockatoos and boxes--- that shredding thing with a box tends to be very hormonal even though they all are drawn to it.

I have actually noticed that! Sometimes I'll get her out, and she'll try to rub her butt on my arm, and I just put her back in her cage. Anytime she tries to act like I'm her mate, I just remove her from me. She thinks I'm a sexy cockatoo, I guess. 🤷😂

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Lol --yes, she thinks you are VERY sexy haha. Glad you aren't reinforcing that behavior! Some people do (not knowing better) and it is bad news to send mixed signals. Good job!
Head and neck petting only is another important thing! Welcome, by the way!
Any shadowy/cave-like spaces (boxes, low-furniture, bedding, pillows etc) can have a similar impact to a nesting hollow.

OP
C

Csprin1

Jan 24, 2020
North Carolina
Parrots
Liara - umbrella
Kasumi - cockatiel
Yeah, i knew that from my cockatiel and parakeets lol. Not trying to masturbate my birds. 😂 When ever people pet her, they try to pet her back and under her wings. Its always fun explaining to them why you cant do that.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Yeah, i knew that from my cockatiel and parakeets lol. Not trying to masturbate my birds. �� When ever people pet her, they try to pet her back and under her wings. Its always fun explaining to them why you cant do that.

My boyfriend (after meeting her for probably the 4th or 5th time) said, "wait...I thought you said petting on the head and neck was sexual...no wonder she likes me." LOL/UGH (thankfully that only happened 1 time haha)--This happened after I was like, "hey...um...just so ya know..that head to tail stroking is..basically cockatoo sex.." lol (of course she loved it ha)

Last edited:
OP
C

Csprin1

Jan 24, 2020
North Carolina
Parrots
Liara - umbrella
Kasumi - cockatiel
Yeah, i knew that from my cockatiel and parakeets lol. Not trying to masturbate my birds. �� When ever people pet her, they try to pet her back and under her wings. Its always fun explaining to them why you cant do that.

My boyfriend (after meeting her for probably the 4th or 5th time) said, "wait...I thought you said petting on the head and neck was sexual...no wonder she likes me." LOL/UGH (thankfully that only happened 1 time haha)--This happened after I was like, "hey...um...just so ya know..that head to tail stroking is..basically cockatoo sex.." lol (of course she loved it ha)

I'm at the chiropractor, dying right now. 🤣🤣🤣 That's hilarious.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
lol- I know.... She does really like men, but now his secret is out lol!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
"Good to know lol because from what I have found, she is an old lady. lol"

Oi! There's nothin' 'LOL' about bein' an old lady! I'm one, so I should know!

Here are some tips for free:

praise her often and lavishly
tell her how young she looks
sing to her soothingly
bring her lovely treats on a silver platter
give her a LOT of money
decorate her cage in her favourite colour
make goo-goo eyes at her all the time, *especially* when people are watching

All this should set you up for a great relationship with your lady of a certain age.

Oh. One last thing. DO NOT argue with her for she is always (repeat: ALWAYS) right! :)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Actually, this is spot-on--- even for Noodles at 11 LOL

OP
C

Csprin1

Jan 24, 2020
North Carolina
Parrots
Liara - umbrella
Kasumi - cockatiel
"Good to know lol because from what I have found, she is an old lady. lol"

Oi! There's nothin' 'LOL' about bein' an old lady! I'm one, so I should know!

Here are some tips for free:

praise her often and lavishly
tell her how young she looks
sing to her soothingly
bring her lovely treats on a silver platter
give her a LOT of money
decorate her cage in her favourite colour
make goo-goo eyes at her all the time, *especially* when people are watching

All this should set you up for a great relationship with your lady of a certain age.

Oh. One last thing. DO NOT argue with her for she is always (repeat: ALWAYS) right! :)

🤣🤣🤣

This is hilarious. We don't tend to argue a lot. I have noticed since I took her junk food away, she yells at me a lot. Other than that, if I walk in the door, after being gone for any amount of time, I always get an I love you from her. She definitely is the center of attention. she runs the house and the other pets, kids, and my husband know it. I don't think I've ever found an instance where she was wrong. 🤗

OP
C

Csprin1

Jan 24, 2020
North Carolina
Parrots
Liara - umbrella
Kasumi - cockatiel
OP
C

Csprin1

Jan 24, 2020
North Carolina
Parrots
Liara - umbrella
Kasumi - cockatiel
Ok, so here is how it went.

I walked into the living room and sat down in the floor beside her cage. I starting saying, "Mmmm, this is good," and acting like I was eating it. She looks at me through the box lol like, "Hey momma, whatcha got?" I moved up to the couch beside her, and was still acting like I was eating it. She got on her perch beside her food bowl, and I sat it down. And guess what....SHE ATE IT. Not like one or two bites, but ALL of it!!! I could have cried!!

I am getting ready to set her cage up a little better, but I had to share that with you all. Thank you SOOOOOO much for the advice!

https://imgur.com/4GjK8C4

https://imgur.com/4CQEg85

https://imgur.com/lQnMfrJ

https://imgur.com/9sgL1sM

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yippie!!!!! Whoo hoo! Love the picture storyline too! Her face peeking out from the box, all the way to her face buried in all that healthy yummy food!!! Great job!

One point if note, rice grows stuff in the fridge quickly, that can make birds sick. So use fresh each time or freeze the left overs.

OP
C

Csprin1

Jan 24, 2020
North Carolina
Parrots
Liara - umbrella
Kasumi - cockatiel
Thank you, she's the best. I'm going to make fresh rice, every time. But I'm going to refrigerate the mix that I used.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Thank you, she's the best. I'm going to make fresh rice, every time. But I'm going to refrigerate the mix that I used.
I had to do the same with my male U2 Cooper and reason why I know rice works wonders. Cockatoos love rice more then anything, they also like pasta as well as oatmeal. Rice is food that a cockatoo can't refuse. Plus if you sit by them and take a bite they be more willing to try it as they consider you a flock member and if they see you eating it, it reassures them that it is good to eat. Plus brown or white (without salt added) is beneficial to them.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts