Roux moving up north

Aplanis

Jan 5, 2018
Hello all

I haven't posted in awhile. Roux has been doing great. She's more yellow and orange and still is the biggest diva.

She turned two years old in June so I suspect she's going through purperty just from one day being the sweetest and the next day being nippy and loud. She's also gotten into getting under my shirt. She'll even get into the leg openings of my shorts.

She had her annual visit back in August and had another bacterial positive culture which required antibiotic injections. I let the vet do it this time.

But the reason for my post is at the end of December I'll be moving from warm South Florida to chilly Rhode Island.

I purchased a heater pad for her cage. But wanted to know what others in cold climates do for their birds. Especially should there be a power outage which is what I worry about more.

Thanks

dae220bcac6aeaffc8b6536be2baff51.jpg
cf50940f429257fe8b8639ca2791f8d1.jpg
ddbcf4c73d9f623270d59096f4046744.jpg
18c18c9be3a424ecff68817abd056615.jpg
39238c166e786583eecdf5d57142165b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
If you're going to a rural area, best thing you can do is get a generator/hookup. That said, it's expensive.

I have an electric heated perch for Willow, she certainly seems to appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SandieV

Sep 5, 2019
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
We just bought that same play gym for Rin. It took a while for him to feel comfortable on it, but I think he loves it now.

I am also interested in which brand of heater you purchased and would to like to know how it works out for you.

Looks like a very happy bird!:gcc:

OP
Aplanis

Aplanis

Jan 5, 2018
Yeah she loves the play gym.

I'm moving to Providence, so not rural. I currently have a generator living in South Florida with hurricanes, but I'm not taking it.

I'll have central air and heat, but I did purchase the heated block for the cage. For the bathroom I got a ceramic heater.

My concern was if lost power during a snowstorm.

I researched and found to cover the cage with blankets. Found pet friendly warming packs on Amazon (similar to what you put in your gloves)

Also read use hot water bottle if still have hot water. Also ordered compost starter to make a natural heater.

Just wanting to be prepared.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Hmm. Any chance to get a woodstove? We have that, and a small electric radiator in the bird room.

How about your stove? Gas or electric? You could heat water that way.

Sounds like you have the basics covered though. I have family about an hour outside providence or so... North Scitcuate/Gloster area. No I cannot spell those, and not really sure those are the right towns. �� they have a farm in rural ri, and hardly ever lose power. I'd hope the city is similar for you.

I keep a whole bunch of those hand warmer things around too. Also keep in mind that you yourself are one big people shaped hot water bottle. :)

OP
Aplanis

Aplanis

Jan 5, 2018
Hmm. Any chance to get a woodstove? We have that, and a small electric radiator in the bird room.

How about your stove? Gas or electric? You could heat water that way.

Sounds like you have the basics covered though. I have family about an hour outside providence or so... North Scitcuate/Gloster area. No I cannot spell those, and not really sure those are the right towns. �� they have a farm in rural ri, and hardly ever lose power. I'd hope the city is similar for you.

I keep a whole bunch of those hand warmer things around too. Also keep in mind that you yourself are one big people shaped hot water bottle. :)

I'll be in a condo so no wood stove. But yes I'll have a gas stove so can definitely have hot water. Didn't think of that. Thanks

And that's true with my body heat.

I did order a battery backup that could power the warning pad as well.

How they like that area?

I'll be new to New England

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Taxes are high, nobody can drive worth a darn, you know, typical complaints. Lol but they have been there for 20 some odd years so they must like something about it! Lol

When we used to be able to visit(just started our own farm last year, we are about 14.5 hours straight drive from there now), they seemed to have a great social network, people were always coming by to help work or eat good food. Anywhere your neighbors are like that is an alright place to live in my book. :)

OP
Aplanis

Aplanis

Jan 5, 2018
Taxes are high, nobody can drive worth a darn, you know, typical complaints. Lol but they have been there for 20 some odd years so they must like something about it! Lol

When we used to be able to visit(just started our own farm last year, we are about 14.5 hours straight drive from there now), they seemed to have a great social network, people were always coming by to help work or eat good food. Anywhere your neighbors are like that is an alright place to live in my book. :)

Yeah heard the taxes are high. But it's getting like that in South Florida along with hurricane insurance which is really high.

I think the drivers in South Florida are the worse. The driving I've seen in RI is nothing compared to what I deal with daily.

And it does seem people are friendlier and hopefully easier to form a social circle. That's also very hard to do in South Florida

Most Reactions