so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have been using Arlo security cameras for a few years.
I like the fact that they are 100% wireless. No video cables and powered by rechargable batteries.
The down side has been that video is only stored in the cloud not local.
The newer system do(I think) record on a local hard drive.

I got an email from the company basically saying my system is too old and will no longer be supported wit video storage on the cloud.

And they offer a big fat juicy $50 off a “Brand New System “
I can’t type all the nasty things I am thinking about that company right now.:mad:

so I am asking if anyone is using a system similar to Arlo that stores data localy and uses wireless cameras without power connection.
so far I only found 1 that fit the bill , think it was called Owl but not sure.
The reviewing on that system doesn’t fill me with confidence.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Check out Wyze... it's a system I've recently come into contact with. I dont know too much about it but i got one of their indoor models for the bird room. I think I read their outdoor models are also wireless and are just rechargeable battery? but I could be remembering wrong. And I know at least the model I got you can insert a micro SD card for recordings...

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Have never really been into such camera systems, but they are clearly something that is becoming more of a need these days.

No real background with this type of technology, but it would seem that if it is WiFi your computer should have running access to what it is sending to the cloud and also save it to a storage hard drive owned by you, in your home. I do that with my laptop stuff as I see no reason to be held at ransom by some organization that sold you the equipment.

The need to upgrade to store memory is real as the hackers are quickly finding ways into to those large cloud storage facilities using your connection and trashing or holding ransom some Utilities records or operational details.

For me, I would look at a stand alone system that I control, but that is just me.
Do you have a Best Buy or like big box store near you? They commonly have like stuff and will even set it up for you.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Have never really been into such camera systems, but they are clearly something that is becoming more of a need these days.

No real background with this type of technology, but it would seem that if it is WiFi your computer should have running access to what it is sending to the cloud and also save it to a storage hard drive owned by you, in your home. I do that with my laptop stuff as I see no reason to be held at ransom by some organization that sold you the equipment.

The need to upgrade to store memory is real as the hackers are quickly finding ways into to those large cloud storage facilities using your connection and trashing or holding ransom some Utilities records or operational details.

For me, I would look at a stand alone system that I control, but that is just me.
Do you have a Best Buy or like big box store near you? They commonly have like stuff and will even set it up for you.
I have a grudge against Best Buy and won’t shop there.
But Home Depot and Lowes are almost in walking distance.
I have till April before my system becomes nothing but decorations.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I ran into a similar problem with my setup for my business. The manufacturer didn't have the foresight to update the calendar in the firmware past an arbitrary date of 12/31/2021. Once we got to 2022, it could no longer access recorded video, even though it was still recording. A simple firmware update could have solved the problem, but the company refused to do that, claiming they no longer supported that model. They offered me a link to their website, where I could order a new replacement, which by the way, is NOT compatible with my existing cameras. And not even a discount of any sort.

Bear in mind that I have legal requirements to have minimum of 30 days of accessable video recording. The offshore customer service rep kept going back to their script and not offering any actual help, and every time he got to the end of the scripted answer, asked if there was anything more he could help me with. The call took hours of my time while he pretended to search for a solution that would never come. I ended the call by telling him that this company is putting my business at risk, and if this is how they treat customers, I will never buy another product from them again. Thank you, Lorex.

Now, that all said, I've set up and replaced my system several times. They don't last forever, especially in a rural place like us where power failures and surges are pretty common. If you're looking for in house storage of your video, a stand alone DVR is the way to go. Tons of options out there for the unit itself and wired/wireless cameras. My current unit is a no name that came by way of Amazon. It works great, and has better features and better user interface (app) than the much more expensive one it replaced. Setup for remote access was a little confusing, but not impossible.

Most Reactions

Latest posts