Still around!!! ;-)

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
Hey guys! I've been going crazy this side of the world, busy, busy and more busy!

Ok, here is my whole busy story.:D Just have to share. I was away for 10 days on experintial learning to the bushveld, i study nature conservation for those ho dont yet know. Okay here goes...

Day 1-3: We camped for these days at a local camping place called Laske Naske. This was the worst of my camp, i was sick:( , so i was just going about every day and trying to learn some things.

Day 4: Wow!!! Atleast this is over. Very very long day. We went to some fisheries place, learned about fish, and the importance of water, and Environmental Education. EE is about teaching children and uninformed adults about how to use there natural resources in a sustainable way. Then from 11 to 5 o'clock that afternoon, we went hiking in the mountain and at streams, it was a long and very hard walk, believe you me. We slept in a communal thing, at a place called Aventura.

Day 5-7: Went camping next to the Kruger National park, just infront of the Orpengate at Hans Hoheisen. We slept in Bomas!!!:eek: Thats animal holding cages, its a small 2x2 cage with a very small bar window, and outside its also 2x2 outside holding cage. So we were too many people in one room, so i decided to sleep outside during that time, you are only allowed to sleep outside if you're pen has mesh on top, otherwise a leopard can come in. Altough i was more afraid of bugs than a leopard. We went to the shops and while coming back, saw a warthog boar in the road, we were walking in the park ( me and a friend). He chased it away, not that the boar was very eager to walk away, just strolled off in the bushes, guess it was a little upset cause we bothered it while it was feeding.:p

Day 8-10: camped at Skukuza in Kruger National park, this was also one of those very long, very tiring days. Our head of the department joined us for one day to do soil profiles, oh man what a day. In and out of the bus the whole day long, digging holes and identifying the soil, identifying the plants associated with that soil and so on. He came from the army, so we were drilled all day long. But i saw some animals as well. My list: Giraffe, zebra, impala, lion, rhinoceros, elephant, buffalo, hippopotamus, crocodile, warthog, kudu, baboon, vervet monkey, and a whole list of bird species! And the other 2 days, we did nothing in the field, just lectures all day long. The day we departed we stopped at a botanical garden, and home we went!

Today, im home, tired and missed my babies. Kodie was so stunned to see me he didnt even make a peep, and Pikkie, well he is alway happy to see his mama!!! Will post pictures some time so watch this space!!!

Sorry guys i'll be leaving you again by sunday, going on holiday! To the sea, no hard work there. Talk to you soon!!!

Wilma!!!

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
WOW what an anventure I can't say I envy you but the wildlife sounds cool! This place has been really busy lately glad you're back ---Kelli

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
That's great that you got to experience so much. I mean seriously, who else on here can say that they had to be careful where they slept in case they got attacked by a leopard. It sounds exciting to me, even though it may have not been the greatest thing for you.

At least it beats sitting in an office all day while the weather's beautiful outside :(

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
Wow.. what can ya say. That sounds so amazing.
I spent today in the woods lookin at deer and red squirrels..Doesnt seem so exciting now:(
My son is going on an expedition to Equador in July for 5wks. He will be living with local tribes and learning to hunt etc etc. He will see parrots like Rox in the wild real and free..how cool. I will c the picis.
Did u get photos? or too busy

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Wow Wilma that sounds so great, can't wait to see the pics. Great to have you back again, even if it is only for a while. Hope you enjoy your holiday and get to do lots of relaxing. Look forward to hearing all about it. :D :D

Most Reactions