Sun Conure behaviour help

Tanvesh

Feb 22, 2020
So im 31 years old male from India, and we have this beautiful female sun conure 3.5 years of age. She lives with me and my mom. So my bird has an amazing natural body clock, by which it knows and understands time upto precision of minutes and i can swear by it, like exactly going to the balcony at 6.30pm, or taking a bath in exact 7 days by itself, or asking my mom to go to bed exactly at 10.30pm.
Now based on this my bird has some weird behaviour, for 15 days it stays too attached with me, so much so that it would probably wanna bite my mom if my mom tries to take her away from me, and other 15 days it stays too attached to my mom, that if i try to take her, she would not come to me at all. We believe this to be according to moon phases (that's just our assumption) but it does coincide that way.
Also my bird gets irritated by sounds of plastics crumbling or spoon tingling with the cup and some more trigger points, and if we are holding the plastic or cup it would straight attack that thing eventually biting our hand by mistake.
Can someone decode this behaviour for us?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So im 31 years old male from India, and we have this beautiful female sun conure 3.5 years of age. She lives with me and my mom. So my bird has an amazing natural body clock, by which it knows and understands time upto precision of minutes and i can swear by it, like exactly going to the balcony at 6.30pm, or taking a bath in exact 7 days by itself, or asking my mom to go to bed exactly at 10.30pm.
Now based on this my bird has some weird behaviour, for 15 days it stays too attached with me, so much so that it would probably wanna bite my mom if my mom tries to take her away from me, and other 15 days it stays too attached to my mom, that if i try to take her, she would not come to me at all. We believe this to be according to moon phases (that's just our assumption) but it does coincide that way.
Also my bird gets irritated by sounds of plastics crumbling or spoon tingling with the cup and some more trigger points, and if we are holding the plastic or cup it would straight attack that thing eventually biting our hand by mistake.
Can someone decode this behaviour for us?
It sounds like your bird is neurodivergent with sensory issues, doesn't it? Can a bird be "on the spectrum"? Is there any such thing?

OP
T

Tanvesh

Feb 22, 2020
It sounds like your bird is neurodivergent with sensory issues, doesn't it? Can a bird be "on the spectrum"? Is there any such thing?
I'm not sure about that, but my bird is very vocal and even though being a sun conure who are generally not known for talking and in that too females are not good talkers, my sun conure picked up 4-5 words very early in her age, these words may not seem a lot but they are a lot for sun conures..

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I can verify that time is something parrots can understand. My Salty knows to the minute when our training sessions are supposed to start, 8:45Pm. Not 8:47, not 8:43. If he does not see me getting the tricks and props ready for the session, he becomes very agitated.

Most Reactions

Latest posts