The World's Most Dangerous Snakes: Working with Mambas & King Cobras

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. Iā€™m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
[FONT=&quot]The dangers posed by a specific snake species depends upon a great many factors (please see below). It is clear, however, that venomous snakes are a serious health concernā€¦according to a recent study, each yearā€™s 4.5 million venomous snakebites result in 100,000 deaths and 250,000 permanent disabilities (figures are approximate, please see the article linked below for details). Certain large constrictors have also caused fatalities. In the course of field research in Venezuela, I observed a Green Anaconda attack a co-worker in what clearly was a feeding attempt. Please see ā€œFurther Readingā€, below, to read about both this incident and a recent study of human predation by Reticulated Pythons. Today Iā€™ll focus on the 2 most dangerous species that Iā€™ve found most challenging as captives ā€“ the worldā€™s largest and Africaā€™s longest venomous snakes, the King Cobra (Ophiophagus hannah) and the Black Mamba (Dendroaspis polylepis). [/FONT]Read the rest of this article here The Most Venemous Snakes: Mambas and King Cobras | That Reptile BlogThat Reptile Blog
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals Iā€™ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile BlogThat Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I'm a big fan of cobras, and from what I've seen with them, they definately seem to be a thinking creature.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That was another interesting article as always Frank. They sure do seem different in character from other snakes, and intelligent! I'd personally be as far away from one as possible...

Most Reactions