Travel

stefe43

Jul 30, 2023
Parrots
I have two parakeets
Hello fellow bird owners,

I have a question:
I recently bought two parakeets, Ivo and Stoney.
Now I'm here because I'm curious what your opinion is on this subject.
I live alone with only my two parakeets, weekends I visit my parents in another city 3 hrs by car.
I want to bring my birds. I'm looking for a proper way to bring them.
I came across this site and it looks really good.

Backpack

My question: Is there someone who has experience with bringing two birds in a backpack case like this one?
Do you think it's possible to make an 3 hr trip with two birds?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
3 hours is not a big haul. That part is fine.

Honestly you should have thought about that before you bought them if this is a routine.

I'm more thinking ok at parents house you keeping them in a carrier? I'd look for a travel cage that is big enough for them, yet portable.

I'm not being mean but I look after the birds. This is something you should have planned out way in advance.

Get a travel cage. The trip will be fine, play olivia newton john. Birds love her voice.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Do you stay there all weekend? If so it might be worth getting a small cage for them to stay in over the weekend. It might also be worth asking if you can keep a large cage for them at your parents house since it's something you do regularly

OP
S

stefe43

Jul 30, 2023
Parrots
I have two parakeets
Thanks . Yes this backpack will only be for travel. At their home my birds can use another big cage or fly around in the house. 😁

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Sounds like the backpack will be fine for them then! Maybe put a little bit of food and water in there for them too just in case they get thirsty or hungry. You can also take them out on walks with the backpack! I wish I could do that with mine! :)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Honestly you should have thought about that before you bought them if this is a routine.

I'm more thinking ok at parents house you keeping them in a carrier? I'd look for a travel cage that is big enough for them, yet portable.

I'm not being mean but I look after the birds. This is something you should have planned out way in advance.

Get a travel cage. The trip will be fine, play olivia newton john. Birds love her voice.
Mine like Jimmy Buffett.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
@stefe43 , personally I dont like those 'bubble' type backpacks, there is not enough ventilation and if you leave or have them in direct sunlight, your parrots can become broiled parrot in a short time.

OP
S

stefe43

Jul 30, 2023
Parrots
I have two parakeets

I will remember this !! Thanks a lot

GirlLovesBirds

Jul 31, 2023
Miami
Parrots
Guillermo (parakeet)
John (cockatoo)
Dear Stefe43,

I'm very curious about your opinion on this item. I was looking for the same thing before, but I didn't dare to buy it. Let me know your experience please!

Kind regards

OP
S

stefe43

Jul 30, 2023
Parrots
I have two parakeets
You are new here ? Me too.
Will keep you up to date. thnx
:) Greetz Steve

GirlLovesBirds

Jul 31, 2023
Miami
Parrots
Guillermo (parakeet)
John (cockatoo)
I am indeed new here. A few years ago, I had a budgerigar and was also part of a forum like this to gather knowledge about caring for these animals. It seems like an excellent way to gain inspiration and find solutions! I am looking forward to your response, and I'm very curious to know if you like the backpack! If so, I am also considering buying the same one. Greetings from Miami!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I have a bubble backpack and walk Ona in it very frequently. They are great for walks and quick travel. I recommend this similar one on Amazon because it has more ventilation on the sides and you can get a fan that goes in the side pocket and blows in air. I would not use it without the fan.

backpack:

fan:

For your situation with the three hour trip I would consider a travel carrier. It can be hard to keep food and water in the backpack and for that length of time I would want a travel carrier. Plus they can use it at your destination. I recently got this one and like it a lot:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I bought this and got it in my home today:

https://monabird.com/products/convenient-outing-parrot-myna-bird-cage actually the quality looks really good. 39.99$ not to expensive. @GirlLovesBirds

Thanks for sharing @onamom !!
It doesn't look like it includes feeding cups or water cups. Bird will wanna snack and then water.

If your bird is calm it can technically sit on you during most the trip if windows are up. I've driven around with calm birds a lot in the cabin.

Most Reactions

Latest posts