Violent Kakariki

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
🌴☀️Florida, USA☀️🌴
Parrots
🌟 𝓢𝓽𝓪𝓻𝓵𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽〘F Lutino Budgie〙🌟
✈️ 𝙅𝙪𝙣𝙞𝙤𝙧〘M Cinn-Turq-Pied-Spang Kakariki〙✈️
It's that time. He's 11 months old. He only attacks me. He is attacking me as I write this post, but only me. He doesn't attack my partner. Why me? Please. My hands and face are missing chunks.
But seriously. Is there anything I'm doing to provoke him? I do try to interact with him, which I have stopped since this behavior started. Now I run from him (he chases me across the living room trying to bite my ankles). I have never seen such a hostile little bird, so full of bloodlust. I am at a loss.
I try to leave him alone and not respond to the behavior, but I do have to interact with the cages to change food and water. My partner and I share this responsibility, though. He almost never bites or attacks my partner. I don't understand. Is there anything I can do to get him to stop?

355844344_1318399502088032_8260275165965001501_n.jpg

My partner wanted me to include an image of him. He's holding him and not getting bitten. He'll just sit there looking cute, making cute noises until he flies at my face and latches his beak on...

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Oh no!
Unfortunately it sounds as if he is experiencing his first hormone spell.

Are you the main caretaker? He could be attacking you because you’re the person he’s the most comfortable with, and, most comfortable attacking.

A few things to somewhat lessen hormones, though, nothing can completely eliminate them:
1. Make sure he gets at least 12 hours of good quiet sleep, but 13-14 in cases like this are fine too.
2. No nest-like places, and, I see he’s allowed on the ground? Lots of dark places there, under the couch, furniture etc.
3. No excess sugar in the diet or an overabundance of all food in general. Lots of food in the wild means time for babies!
Omit fruit or sugary veg if possible.
4. Don’t pet him anywhere but the head and neck.
5. Implement training if you’re able, though, if he flies to attack you, maybe it’s best if your partner does the training for now.

I would try giving him treats through the cage bars as if he’s a new bird in the home.

So sorry you’re dealing with this! My green cheek had very rough hormones for a good 2 months when he had his first spell, now, it’s maybe 1-2 weeks of it a few times a year?

Most Reactions

Latest posts