Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
So yesterday was Mink's hatchday. Today is Griffin's :D

This is my smallest parrot (besides budgies) but by far the biggest handful! He's the one who is constantly trying to look for new ways to get into trouble. He's 2 today.

Griffin is a male Ruppell's Parrot. A rare member of the Poicephalus genus. He is not quite in full color, as his shoulders should still get a little more extensive yellow within the next year.

I've tried to catch him in flight to show the yellow flashes under his wings, but to no avail... there is only so much I can do with an iPad and a fast flying bird in a small room, so at least I got some nice stills ;).

For his presents... First, I refurbished an old favorite toy. It's a refillable foraging ball (I love this) and it is stuffed with about 15 items. It's a bit larger than it appears in the photo. Plus I decorated it with the things hanging on the outside. This boy needs to be kept very busy! He also got a 'baby toy' rattle that is an out of cage supervised toy.

When I went to check on the birds, this is what I saw. He likes to sit on top of doors, which I don't like, but of course he figured out an alternative.

Some pics of my beautiful boy today :) Enjoy!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Happy Birthday Griffin!!! I cannot believe he is already 2! He just gets more beautiful all the time.
Love his refurbished new toy:)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Aw happy birthday Griffin!! Much buddy bread to you, bud!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thank you Terry, Chrisine, and Chris :)!

I love how he has a bright yellow and orange-y highlights in it... the pics of wild ones aren't as vibrant. Maybe our fids get better nutrition in captivity? ;)

Here he is hanging out with his best buddy Bronze Winged Pionus Raven.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Happy Birthday, Beautiful Boy!!! Enjoy your special day and be sweet for your mom!

Julie, you take dazzling photos of your pretty, pretty, parrots! I love pics four and five, if I had to choose favorites.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Happy birthday Griffin! He sure looks like a little gray handful lol. Such attitude for such a little guy:11:Hope he has a wonderful day and doesn't cause *too* much trouble for you;)

P.S. Is that his adult plumage now? He has quite a bit of yellow still! Very striking color combination for a bird.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Busy week at Julie's house! :D What a blast, partying for 2 straight days!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Griffin!! :heart: Those eyes. HOLY smokes, they scare me...yup, there, I said it out loud. :54:

He is STUNNING! What plumage!!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Happy Birthday, Griffin!

Party at Jules' house!!!! The birthdays are nonstop over there, eh?

Griffin is beautiful, my friend, and so obviously well cared for. His yellow shoulders and matching "anklets" are vibrant. Like April, I'm wondering if this is his full adult coloration as well. Most impressive either way.

I love his Spider-Man impression by the door, as well as the pic right after where perspective makes him look like he's wearing a very... unconventional hat. Lol!

Glad he seems to be enjoying his birthday!

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
Happy Birthday, Griffin! You sure are a handsome boy! I love ALL the photos!!!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thanks guys! I think he LIKES it that his eyes are a bit...hm, 'intimidating' to some :54: LOL!

April and Stephen, This is his adult plumage :).
Within the next year or two, he will be getting just a little more yellow showing on the outside "shoulder caps". He did start out with a lot of yellow on his front, as some Ruppell's chicks do, but lost that within the first year. Female Ruppell's have bright blue vent and lower abdomen. Males are bicolor. I love the striking bright yellow against his 'plain' background.

Pretty when he flies and flashes yellow under the wings. I guess I need a "good" camera to do that with? I have no idea how to capture flight stills.

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
What a handsome birthday boy Griffin makes. He also looks quite mischievous, and yeah, those eyes...

FaeryBee

Mar 3, 2016
Reston, Virginia
Parrots
Three lovebirds
Pedro
Poppy
Peachy

Nine Budgies
Skipper
Scooter
Sparky