Weird coloring on metal toy components

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I got a playstand off Amazon for Broccoli and noticed that some of the metal hooks etc have a blue tint. They do not have the “dirty” cast I would associate with galvanization/zinc coating, and they’re magnetic so they are definitely steel. Any idea what would cause the color variation and if it’s parrot safe?

image.jpg

The round bit is the metal I am worried about; the toy hook I know is stainless steel.

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
take this with a rock of salt, as I don’t know a lot about metals, but perhaps it’s some sort of metal plating?

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
take this with a rock of salt, as I don’t know a lot about metals, but perhaps it’s some sort of metal plating?

I think it’s pretty innocuous. I was having a conversation with another parrot person about how they have a Patagonian in their care who somehow got heavy metal poisoning and they suspect it was a very odd toy that had a chain on it, and I freaked myself out.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I think it’s pretty innocuous. I was having a conversation with another parrot person about how they have a Patagonian in their care who somehow got heavy metal poisoning and they suspect it was a very odd toy that had a chain on it, and I freaked myself out.
As good parronts we all worry about everything our kids put in their mouths. I, too, have seen colored metal parts on bird toys and other fasteners like key rings and wondered about toxicity. It seems to me that unless the piece of colored metal is small enough to potentially be swallowed, it doesn't pose much risk to Broccoli. However, I'm no expert on tinting metal and I couldn't find any specific info online, ont

Most Reactions

Latest posts