What kind of "sulphur crested cockatoo" is this?

Khalat

Feb 21, 2022
Media
Kurdistan Region, Iraq
Parrots
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Last week I have bought a 4 month old Baby sulphur crested Cockatoo, I'm Wonder to know what kind of cockatoo is this?
The Code on the leg Ring is "MBG 463" What this means?

Thanks...

20220226_104505.jpg

20220226_104444.jpg

20220226_104520.jpg

20220226_104523.jpg

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
For me it looks like a lesser sulphur crested cockatoo. I know, it may be confusing because it is the most common name used in English, but they are not sulphur crested cockatoos - it's a separated species. The right name is "yellow crested cockatoo", but I've never seen anybody using it.

OP
Khalat

Khalat

Feb 21, 2022
Media
Kurdistan Region, Iraq
Parrots
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
For me it looks like a lesser sulphur crested cockatoo. I know, it may be confusing because it is the most common name used in English, but they are not sulphur crested cockatoos - it's a separated species. The right name is "yellow crested cockatoo", but I've never seen anybody using it.
Thank you for the reply,
You are right the lesser sulphur crested cockatoo is direct subspecies of Cockatoo family, but I was not sure my cockatoo is lesser type.

OP
Khalat

Khalat

Feb 21, 2022
Media
Kurdistan Region, Iraq
Parrots
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Definitely lesser (like Rico). The greater type does not have yellow cheek patches and they are much larger.
Thank you,

Someone told me its difficult to know because its Baby, But I Think he is Elenora Cockatoo, and his patches will go lighter while growing up.

By the way I have another question, based on your experience with Rico? Lesser sulphur crested cockatoo can speak and attract himself like other sulphur crested cockatoos?

D

Deleted member 42416

Rico does speak but also uses an incredible spectrum of body language. He is will be 6yo this year. He does say “Rico, hi Rico, hellooo, Peek-a-boo, niiigght, and Come ‘ere!” Once in a while he’ll add something new like “Hi Birby!” (When he saw our little conure in her carrier. ) He laughs when something is funny just before our laugh reaction…to me this is astonishing.

He can change tone and facial feather expressions with all speech and somehow we KNOW what he means. Sorta like “I am Groot” from “Guardians of the Galaxy”. 😄

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome. Just so you realize no parrot is guaranteed to talk and in fact most dont or at best learn a few words. Cockatoos in general are not noted for their speaking ability, like for instance African Grey parrots or some species of Amazons. THat should not detract in your love for this hansom young one, and Cockatoos are noted for their own sense of humor and fun.

OP
Khalat

Khalat

Feb 21, 2022
Media
Kurdistan Region, Iraq
Parrots
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Welcome. Just so you realize no parrot is guaranteed to talk and in fact most dont or at best learn a few words. Cockatoos in general are not noted for their speaking ability, like for instance African Grey parrots or some species of Amazons. THat should not detract in your love for this hansom young one, and Cockatoos are noted for their own sense of humor and fun.
You are right.
I doesn't had any experience with cockatoos, I had African Grey and Macaws.
In My Opinion Cockatoos are lively, affectionate birds that become an owner's best friend. and I Liked it more than others. every day he is doing something new.
I fell in love with her. ;)

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
I have previously owned one cockatiel and two budgies. I currently own one sulphur crested cockatoo
Last week I have bought a 4 month old Baby sulphur crested Cockatoo, I'm Wonder to know what kind of cockatoo is this?
The Code on the leg Ring is "MBG 463" What this means?

Thanks...

View attachment 36337

View attachment 36338

View attachment 36339

View attachment 36340
Well there is only one type of sulphur crested cockatoo. Well I mean there's Lesser and Greater but those are more identifying sizes if that's what you mean.
A lesser sulphur crested is about a foot long, that's what my bird is.
A greater sulphur crested is I believe about the size of an umbrella cockatoo or bigger.

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
I have previously owned one cockatiel and two budgies. I currently own one sulphur crested cockatoo
I saw that cockatoos supposedly learn 20-30 words despite parrots learning 250 words, the African Grey is an exception able to learn over 1,000 words.
But I have noticed my Moxxie is vocal and learns a lot of words quickly so I question the 20-30 word thing for cockatoos.
But either way, you are correct, not all parrots talk. Especially if they've suffered severe trauma.

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
Actually there are few subspecies of sulphur crested cockatoos: Titron, Eleonora, Mathews and Greater sulphur crested. The lesser sulphur crested cockatoo is a separated species.
I thought the Titron, Eleonora, and Mathews were separate species from the sulphur crested.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I thought the Titron, Eleonora, and Mathews were separate species from the sulphur crested.
At the beginning I was surprised that they even have English names which are commonly used (in my native language it isn't so confusing, we have no names for SC2 subspecies). But in this case the classification isn't the language thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulphur-crested_cockatoo

Fan fact: The lesser sulfur crested cockatoo has even more subspecies than the "real" SC2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-crested_cockatoo

Most Reactions