When to train 9 week old conure.

Maddijacobs

Aug 2, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure - 9 weeks old
2x female and male lovebird - 6 months & older
Just recently (2 weeks ago) I got a 8 week year old gc conure, she was still formula fed for about a week but fully weaned (this was just due to how little she was). She is lovely, very affectionate when she wants to be, but also has her little toddler freak outs when she’s tired and can’t find a dark spot to sleep in. I have pinenuts & sunflower seeds to train, she can’t seem to quite grasp how to eat them. Is there any suggestions on how to get her used to eating seeds/nuts for training, otherwise any good training treats that could suit a baby better?

Thanks
Maddi & Sagie the GC Conure

Attachments

• 9D608D21-5849-4D9E-A1D8-E2080A359F2C.png
    9D608D21-5849-4D9E-A1D8-E2080A359F2C.png
    424.4 KB · Views: 17

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Congrats on the new baby! I would try a variety of training treats until you find one she loves. My GCC loves safflower seeds and we use those for training.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We use tiny slices of pine nuts for a training treat. Salty would plow the back 40 acres for a pine nut. I give the treat directly to Saltys beak when the trick or action is done correctly, too small for him to manipulate with a foot. Training treats should be given immediately when the trick or action is done correctly, or there is forward movement towards the action. Like stepping up, if the parrot raises his foot, even just a little, that is forward action towards the desired end result. Incremental progress!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
When to train? immediatly.....

What to treat? anything they perk up to.

OP
M

Maddijacobs

Aug 2, 2023
Parrots
Congrats on the new baby! I would try a variety of training treats until you find one she loves. My GCC loves safflower seeds and we use those for training.
Thank you, will try to give these a go

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
It seems like it may take a bit for them to really be into treats. Our dusky conure is a little older than your green cheek, and we are still working out what to use. I need to find a variety mix so I can identify which seeds he’s into. So far we know he likes banana chips and walnuts, but he’s not crazy about them, not like our bigger bird is.

OP
M

Maddijacobs

Aug 2, 2023
Parrots
It seems like it may take a bit for them to really be into treats. Our dusky conure is a little older than your green cheek, and we are still working out what to use. I need to find a variety mix so I can identify which seeds he’s into. So far we know he likes banana chips and walnuts, but he’s not crazy about them, not like our bigger bird is.
Yes, I have the same drama. I have tried quite a few things & she likes it but she’s not crazy about them. It’s not enough to keep her entertained or wanting to train for the treat. She’s definitely not a huge fan of pine nuts & sunflower seeds, which seems to be the fan favourite.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Yes, I have the same drama. I have tried quite a few things & she likes it but she’s not crazy about them. It’s not enough to keep her entertained or wanting to train for the treat. She’s definitely not a huge fan of pine nuts & sunflower seeds, which seems to be the fan favourite.
My GCC doesn't love pine nuts or sunflower seeds either. She does love the safflower though. I'd try millet and safflower.

Most Reactions