Words of Encouragement..

Yanii

Mar 10, 2024
Parrots
Lucy - Female pied
Ricky - Male Pearl Pied
A little back story..
My 5 week old cockatiel started wet sneezing 4 days ago. At first I thought it was just allergies since my 3 1/2 month old female wasnā€™t showing any similar symptoms and he was eating, popping, acting totally normal and playing. Fast forward 2 days later and I come home to find him with a bloody wing and still wet sneezing but more frequent now. I took him straight to the avian hospital an hour away. They said he just broke a blood feather but luckily it coagulated quickly on its own and will be totally fine. They prescribed moloxicam for any wing pain and Doxycycline to treat his respiratory issue and prevent secondary infection. Heā€™s been taking his meds just fine since and seemed to be doing very well. Eating, pooping all normal. This morning I woke to feed formula and medicate, however, he was breathing labored, clicking noises, shaking his head and flinging mucus. Refused to feed. Made squeaky noises and could hear him wheezing. Immediately rushed back to the hospital this morning. I called on the way and as soon as we came inside, I had a team of techs come out and take Ricky to the back. They came out and said they put him in the oxygen incubator. Theyā€™re keeping him there for a few hours to calm and then will be sedating for X-Rays, bloodwork, etc. Iā€™m a total mess and canā€™t stop ugly crying. Weā€™re so bonded it hurts. I need to know heā€™s going to be ok! Please pray for my little love..

Has anyone gone through something similar and if so, was your little ok in the end? Iā€™m totally beside myself and donā€™t know what to do for the next 5-6 hours while heā€™s there. Alone and scared, Iā€™m so feeling the same..

Pics to show Ricky and I.

IMG_2909.jpegIMG_2943.jpegIMG_2911.jpeg

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have had what appears to be perfectly healthy cockatiels die suddenly with no warning,
I have also had cockatiels hang on through what seems like incredible odds. Up to and including a wing amputation.
Praying for your little one.
wes

OP
Y

Yanii

Mar 10, 2024
Parrots
Lucy - Female pied
Ricky - Male Pearl Pied
I have had what appears to be perfectly healthy cockatiels die suddenly with no warning,
I have also had cockatiels hang on through what seems like incredible odds. Up to and including a wing amputation.
Praying for your little one.
wes
Oh my! Iā€™m so sorry to hear that! I hope my little one pulls through.. heā€™s in good care so I have faith.. Iā€™m praying for a miracle though! If anything Iā€™m feeling a little at ease that they said he wasnā€™t critical at this point so that means I brought him in perfect timing to help!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Its not unusual for parrots to develop a respiratory issue when brought home - happened to me the last 2 parrots I got. Antibiotics, the RIGHT ones, clear things up well, make sure to use ALL the meds, dont stop when things look better.

Wishing you all the best luck.

OP
Y

Yanii

Mar 10, 2024
Parrots
Lucy - Female pied
Ricky - Male Pearl Pied
Its not unusual for parrots to develop a respiratory issue when brought home - happened to me the last 2 parrots I got. Antibiotics, the RIGHT ones, clear things up well, make sure to use ALL the meds, dont stop when things look better.

Wishing you all the best luck.
Thank you! Really appreciate it!

Most Reactions

Latest posts