Would a bourke and a linnie socialize with eachother?

Imveganbtw

Sep 20, 2023
Parrots
Rosy Bourke's Parakeet
I have a bourke and I want to get her a friend but I also really like linnies and Im wondering if they'd play together and socialize or if they'd just tolerate eachother.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Hmmm..... I have experience only with Bourkes and maybe let's begin with if Bourkes play in general? Because from my experience it's very rare to see Bourkes playing - I have three and their favorite activities are flying and foraging. Bourkes have a habit of not liking to be touched so I'm not sure how parrots play not being touched... they could using toys but they don't use toys either🤷‍♀️ (I don't know if your Bourke plays with toys but I read somewhere that it is something normal)

TBH before getting Bourkes, I was thinking between getting them or linnies... but rn I don't remember much about linnies so I can't say anything from linnie pov... but from Bourke pov, I can say that there shouldn't be problem in at least tolerating another bird (one of my bourkes was with budgies and I could see that somehow deeply she cared about them despite of being different species. She wasn't playing with them but they were feeding themselves)

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
They're the same size, so it wouldn't be dangerous to socialize them, but that's really all that can be said.

There's never a guarantee when introducing birds together. You need to have separate cages to start regardless, because 1) you need to quarantine your new bird, and 2) there's simply no way to know whether they'll like each other. They might hate each other no matter what you do! Or they might be best friends, and decide they don't need your company anymore! There's no way of knowing until you introduce them.

OP
Imveganbtw

Imveganbtw

Sep 20, 2023
Parrots
Rosy Bourke's Parakeet
Hmmm..... I have experience only with Bourkes and maybe let's begin with if Bourkes play in general? Because from my experience it's very rare to see Bourkes playing - I have three and their favorite activities are flying and foraging. Bourkes have a habit of not liking to be touched so I'm not sure how parrots play not being touched... they could using toys but they don't use toys either🤷‍♀️ (I don't know if your Bourke plays with toys but I read somewhere that it is something normal)

TBH before getting Bourkes, I was thinking between getting them or linnies... but rn I don't remember much about linnies so I can't say anything from linnie pov... but from Bourke pov, I can say that there shouldn't be problem in at least tolerating another bird (one of my bourkes was with budgies and I could see that somehow deeply she cared about them despite of being different species. She wasn't playing with them but they were feeding themselves)
Yeah, I think play is probably not the right word. Mine doesn't so much play but when she's with other bourkes she will follow them around and sort of run in circles and chirp so thats the sort of thing I'm thinking. I'm just wondering whether it would benefit her mental health as another bourke would or if it would just be like a roomate she doesnt talk to. I'm curious how similar exactly bourkes and linnies would think they are. They are pretty similar to humans but from her perspective she may not even recognize them

Most Reactions

Latest posts