Would it be possible to make chop with a blender?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
As much as I HATE the noise, we canā€™t exactly afford a food processor at the moment. I was thinking using my pea brain and I thought of something. Chop in a blender. Would this be possible? If so, all Iā€™d need are the veggies and an ice cube tray then, right? The frozen veggies here are dirt cheap and that takes off half of my recipe.

(Here is the recipe Iā€™ve got btw
Squash, Kale, Spinach, Bell pepper, Peas, Carrot, Corn, Macaroni noodles, Brown rice, Green beans, Apple.)

So, could this work?

Also, bonus question! What beans can I feed Rico? None of the websites tell me WHAT beans I can feed, they just say I can feed cooked beans.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
You definitely can just be careful that you don't puree it. Unless your birds are okay eating smoothies xD

Pretty much all beans are safe I believe. I've always used those like 16 bean soup mixes (minus the spices/seasoning).

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
You definitely can just be careful that you don't puree it. Unless your birds are okay eating smoothies xD

Pretty much all beans are safe I believe. I've always used those like 16 bean soup mixes (minus the spices/seasoning).
Well, ours is old so it takes a while to purƩe and I got to some genius engineering to make a lid since the old lid kinda just, disappeared to the void? So I use a plastic sandwich container lid.

Ooh, thank you! How much beans should I use tho? Like a bean to veg ratio?

Also, hereā€™s a pic for bird tax haha
D5DEA116-F474-45F5-ACDE-0508A7C82B66.jpeg

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Um, I don't really know a good ratio. I think when I would make big batches of chop using beans I would like... use a cup of beans with 2 heads of brocolli, 1 bell pepper, 1 large squash (or 3 small squashes like yellow or succhini vs spaghetti or butternut) 3 kale leaves, 3 chard leaves, 2 cups of sprouts... and maybe some other stuff? It's late and I am having a hard time remembering everything that went into those chops.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Um, I don't really know a good ratio. I think when I would make big batches of chop using beans I would like... use a cup of beans with 2 heads of brocolli, 1 bell pepper, 1 large squash (or 3 small squashes like yellow or succhini vs spaghetti or butternut) 3 kale leaves, 3 chard leaves, 2 cups of sprouts... and maybe some other stuff? It's late and I am having a hard time remembering everything that went into those chops.
This gives a good idea of the ratio!
1 cup for every 2.5 - 3 cups ish

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I would minimize the spinach and the noodles. Spinach in large amounts limits the ability to absorb certain nutrients and noodles are fattening. I use only single ingredient pasta for Salty's chop.

My blender would turn these ingredients to smoothies too quickly for use. Try Craigslist for maybe a used food processer?

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I would minimize the spinach and the noodles. Spinach in large amounts limits the ability to absorb certain nutrients and noodles are fattening. I use only single ingredient pasta for Salty's chop.

My blender would turn these ingredients to smoothies too quickly for use. Try Craigslist for maybe a used food processer?
Ohhh okay, gotcha!

Craigslist is kinda iffy in my area but Iā€™m sure I could find one at a thrift store! We have like 5 in the area so there is a super good chance of finding one

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots

this is the food processor I have. it's not the most expensive but it works. I chop up the veggies in it individually and then mix the veggies together in a large bowl.

KimG

Aug 4, 2022
Media
Florida
Parrots
2 Severe Macaws
I just purchased a ninja chopper for $19.99 at Walmart just to make chop easier. It worked great. Quick and not noisy at all. I was pretty surprised it worked so well. I reccomend it. I only make 3 months worth for two birds and it was not a bad size for what I need.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie

this is the food processor I have. it's not the most expensive but it works. I chop up the veggies in it individually and then mix the veggies together in a large bowl.
I love this one! Sadly it is 100 bucks :(

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I just purchased a ninja chopper for $19.99 at Walmart just to make chop easier. It worked great. Quick and not noisy at all. I was pretty surprised it worked so well. I reccomend it. I only make 3 months worth for two birds and it was not a bad size for what I need.
Ooh! Guess whoā€™s going to Walmart in June then? I just gotta be careful not to spend all my bday money on bird toys accidentally!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Ooh! Guess whoā€™s going to Walmart in June then? I just gotta be careful not to spend all my bday money on bird toys accidentally!
I bought a mini "blender" that works great making chop as long as you don't blend for too long. If you do your bird will have a smoothie!

Most Reactions

Latest posts