Yellow napped female

Pammie

Jul 20, 2023
Parrots
Quaker
Hi

Can anyone tell me a bit about the temperament of this particular species and gender please?

I've read alot and experienced with parrots just not amazons.

Picking between yellow headed, blue fronted and yellow napped female ,but a 6 month old yellow napped female has become available.

Thank you .

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I Love Amazons!

Over the years, I have enjoyed the company of the full cross-section of large parrots, nearly all well loved by their owners. I am often asked; which is my favorite and without hesitation, I state that my favorite is that raucous group of parrots known as Amazons. The common second question is: WHY Amazons? They are so difficult!

Difficult? What is so difficult about Amazons! At this point, the questioner commonly tells any number of stories of the much-fabled Flaming Hot Three, The Hormonal Maniacs, The Screaming Monsters, The Flesh Devouring Vampires, The Territorial Hoarders, and The Cruel Divider of Families. Stories, Stories and more Stories of that fabled New World Green Killer!

Then I begin asking questions ā€” commonly the bird or birds in question had been purchased on the quick and far more commonly, the cheap. The new owner was provided little or no information, let alone what constitutes a healthy meal or proper living quarters, then surprise, surprise the little green bundle turns into a Mass Murderer! It would be truly humorous, if not for the part where they dump the bird!

It must be a new fault in the Human personality or a recent failure in our rearing of Humans, which has resulted in the growing number of Humans that believe that life requires nothing more then simply wanting something for it to magically be that way. Possibly, itā€™s the affect of the wonders of modern technology - that fresh from the box - instance gratification of extremely complicated technology that by simply adding batteries, plugging it in, or connection to the net and ā€˜It Worksā€™! Gratifying our momentary want, before we whisk onto our next want. Whatever happened to actually having to work for something? Reality Check: Living Things do not function that way. Surprise, you have to work at having a ā€˜Successful Relationshipā€™ with Living Things!

Amazons Are Simple! All you have to do is pay attention and they will clearly tell you what is working and what is not. Amazonā€™s tell you like it is, no rouse, no guessing, no game playing, just to the point, the way it is! All we Humans have to do is to use only a small percentage of our enormous brains and simply be observant. How hard is that? You would think that we are asking a Human to cut-off their arms and legs!

That same Amazon, now having lived though the passing from one dead-end relationship after another, with stops between in those wonderful places called ā€œHouse of Horrorsā€ or more commonly referred to as Pet Stores, can by luck or divine intervention find its way into a true home. You know, one of those seemly rare places in which individuals value each other and contribute to their abilities. There, that Green Mass Murderer, by great transformation, becomes the love of that familyā€™s life. How can this be? A Vampire to a Lover, what Storybook can this be from?

There is no storybook - it is simply why I love Amazons. Through all the past miss-treatment with a little bit of love, understanding and observation they are the ā€œCome Back Kidā€™sā€ of the Avian World. It can even occur in the same home that had defined that Amazon as the New World Green Killer. Is this possible? And, in the same home? Yes, a simple change on the part of the Humans and its time for the Lover to come forth!

Anyone that has known me for even a short period of time, know that I have a Love for Amazons. I Love the Feather, Flesh, that Amazon Scent, that heartwarming Blood of the Living Amazon, which does not require batteries and is not simply de-activated by pulling the plug or pushing the OFF button. I Love In Your Face Amazons! A Warm Blooded, Living, Reality Check, Everyday!

Put that latest greatest electrical gratification toys away, engage a living creature. You may just find that there is far more to life than that momentary gratification techno toy. Without engaging that living creature, such a statement would never be possible.

Amazons are not toys! And Fools are justly rewarded for their self-centered stupidity. Let the Fools write their stories, with hope it will keep other Fools from thinking that their next toy should be an Amazon!

Amazonsā€™ Have More Fun! And, the brighter, more open, Loving Humans quickly find that to be true! Individuals who are successfully Owned by an Amazon are the kind of People that I have always found to be a True Joy being around!

There is no question in my mind that: Amazonā€™s Rule!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The above Segment was taken from the Top of the Amazon Forum, just below Understanding Amazon Body Language.

I am not sure why you want an Amazon. But, they are not for someone with limited knowledge of caring for mid to large Parrots! This is especially true for anyone of the Big Hot Three, with Yellow Napes being a member!

I strongly recommend that you allow an Amazon to Choose You!! As they are much better at it than Humans are!! It is also very helpful when one understands that Developing a Trust Bond is critical and that become much easier when they had chosen you!

Please understand that Amazons do not fit within your stated choices as they are larger and everything you wish to avoid is what is commonly used to classify an Amazon!!

I fear that you are choosing based on Appearance and that is not a good place to start! Understand that Amazons 'can' live into their 70's!! Get it wrong and that is a lifetime of OMG what have I done!

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I Love Amazons!

Over the years, I have enjoyed the company of the full cross-section of large parrots, nearly all well loved by their owners. I am often asked; which is my favorite and without hesitation, I state that my favorite is that raucous group of parrots known as Amazons. The common second question is: WHY Amazons? They are so difficult!

Difficult? What is so difficult about Amazons! At this point, the questioner commonly tells any number of stories of the much-fabled Flaming Hot Three, The Hormonal Maniacs, The Screaming Monsters, The Flesh Devouring Vampires, The Territorial Hoarders, and The Cruel Divider of Families. Stories, Stories and more Stories of that fabled New World Green Killer!

Then I begin asking questions ā€” commonly the bird or birds in question had been purchased on the quick and far more commonly, the cheap. The new owner was provided little or no information, let alone what constitutes a healthy meal or proper living quarters, then surprise, surprise the little green bundle turns into a Mass Murderer! It would be truly humorous, if not for the part where they dump the bird!

It must be a new fault in the Human personality or a recent failure in our rearing of Humans, which has resulted in the growing number of Humans that believe that life requires nothing more then simply wanting something for it to magically be that way. Possibly, itā€™s the affect of the wonders of modern technology - that fresh from the box - instance gratification of extremely complicated technology that by simply adding batteries, plugging it in, or connection to the net and ā€˜It Worksā€™! Gratifying our momentary want, before we whisk onto our next want. Whatever happened to actually having to work for something? Reality Check: Living Things do not function that way. Surprise, you have to work at having a ā€˜Successful Relationshipā€™ with Living Things!

Amazons Are Simple! All you have to do is pay attention and they will clearly tell you what is working and what is not. Amazonā€™s tell you like it is, no rouse, no guessing, no game playing, just to the point, the way it is! All we Humans have to do is to use only a small percentage of our enormous brains and simply be observant. How hard is that? You would think that we are asking a Human to cut-off their arms and legs!

That same Amazon, now having lived though the passing from one dead-end relationship after another, with stops between in those wonderful places called ā€œHouse of Horrorsā€ or more commonly referred to as Pet Stores, can by luck or divine intervention find its way into a true home. You know, one of those seemly rare places in which individuals value each other and contribute to their abilities. There, that Green Mass Murderer, by great transformation, becomes the love of that familyā€™s life. How can this be? A Vampire to a Lover, what Storybook can this be from?

There is no storybook - it is simply why I love Amazons. Through all the past miss-treatment with a little bit of love, understanding and observation they are the ā€œCome Back Kidā€™sā€ of the Avian World. It can even occur in the same home that had defined that Amazon as the New World Green Killer. Is this possible? And, in the same home? Yes, a simple change on the part of the Humans and its time for the Lover to come forth!

Anyone that has known me for even a short period of time, know that I have a Love for Amazons. I Love the Feather, Flesh, that Amazon Scent, that heartwarming Blood of the Living Amazon, which does not require batteries and is not simply de-activated by pulling the plug or pushing the OFF button. I Love In Your Face Amazons! A Warm Blooded, Living, Reality Check, Everyday!

Put that latest greatest electrical gratification toys away, engage a living creature. You may just find that there is far more to life than that momentary gratification techno toy. Without engaging that living creature, such a statement would never be possible.

Amazons are not toys! And Fools are justly rewarded for their self-centered stupidity. Let the Fools write their stories, with hope it will keep other Fools from thinking that their next toy should be an Amazon!

Amazonsā€™ Have More Fun! And, the brighter, more open, Loving Humans quickly find that to be true! Individuals who are successfully Owned by an Amazon are the kind of People that I have always found to be a True Joy being around!

There is no question in my mind that: Amazonā€™s Rule!
This sounds like it should be your Amazon manifesto :ROFLMAO: :unsure:o_O

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
So very well said above. I personally have far less experience than our friend, sailboat, but I do have my own somewhat experiences with amazons. Interesting that the ones you're considering are the entirety of the "hot three."

I can't speak to relationships with baby or young amazons, as all of my birds have been adult rescues/rehomes. My current girl is exactly what you're asking about in this thread, a female YNA. She chose me when I wasn't even considering another amazon, as I was visiting my ekkie boy as part of the adoption process. As said above, amazons are VERY clear about their wants. I lived in denial for several months, but she made her choice, and I finally gave in to her charm and brought her home. I actually brought her with me to the refuge she came from for a visit yesterday. The owner commented how quiet she was in general, especially for an amazon, except when I came. She screamed "hello, hello, hello" in her loud raucous amazon voice until I went to talk to her. Overall, she's pretty quiet as they go, but when she wants to be loud, yeah, it's loud. I've come to accept that she's not typical, she's the snuggliest bird I've ever had, but as amazon people know, it is ALWAYS on her terms. I've never been bitten, because I pay attention to what she's telling me, and I have huge respect for her wishes and the can opener on her face. I had one good nip to the finger a few years ago, entirely because I wasn't listening. No blood, and I don't consider it an actual bit, just a wake up call/warning. When she was at the refuge, she did in fact send a volunteer to the ER with a new lip piercing. She wasn't listening.

So, as is always the case, each bird is an individual, even among the same species. The trick is to find the one. The one. Let them pick. It's so true, they're waaaaay better at it than we humans are because they see us on a different level. They see WHO we are, not just what we look like.

Sorry for the long response, I hope my experiences are of some help :)

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Hi

Can anyone tell me a bit about the temperament of this particular species and gender please?

I've read alot and experienced with parrots just not amazons.

Picking between yellow headed, blue fronted and yellow napped female ,but a 6 month old yellow napped female has become available.

Thank you .
I encourage you to read the files in this forum on amazons. I also want to warn you that what you get with a baby will not be what the bird becomes as a hormonal adult.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you have been all over the place as to which species of parrot you want. I totally understand that there are so many lovely choices. This is why I want to encourage you to volunteer at a bird rescue or if that is not possible find a bird store that doesn't mind if you spend days observing and interacting with their birds.

Most parrots live for such a long time, so take the time to make sure what ever species you chose is the right one for you and your lifestyle. Allowing the parrot to choose you will also make such a big difference. My dream bird had always been an african grey, but when I went to look at birds. The two greys they had wanted nothing to do with me. A female eclectus was in love with me from first sight.
She flew over and landed on my shoulder and started preening my hair. I didn't buy her that day as I had heard female ekkies could be difficult and I knew ekkies did not have a standard parrot diet. Three more visits looking at other birds they had and she came home with me. I have the strongest bond with her than any of the previous parrots that I have owned. I cannot stress how important it is to let the bird choose you.

Also keep in mind the larger the bird the more expensive everything it needs will be. I have a red-lored amazon. He didn't choose me and I didn't choose him. Fate brought us together. Our journey has not been easy, but I adore him. He chews up $100.00 a month in just toys. As far as monthly costs, he is my most expensive parrot.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
THank you members for presenting a clear, unequivocal view on what living with an Amazon is like. I can add little I can only say that, to the sharp eyed and observant, Amazons will telegraph very clearly what their mood, feelings and intentions are, unlike many other parrot species. Get it wrong and you will meet their best friends, Larry Laceration and Kenny Cutchie. Of the hot 3, my choice would be the Yellow Nape. I had one for several years, he was smart, talkative and all Amazon. Blue Fronts - my good friend Jim had one named Amy, who was pretty cool towards me but he was a 32 yr old and very set in his ways. And though I like Double Yellow Heads best of all, they uniformly hate me on sight, and I've been mellon-balled by several over the years. Big chunks of Wrench13 went missing. Best advice, let the parrot choose you!

OP
P

Pammie

Jul 20, 2023
Parrots
Quaker
I encourage you to read the files in this forum on amazons. I also want to warn you that what you get with a baby will not be what the bird becomes as a hormonal adult.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you have been all over the place as to which species of parrot you want. I totally understand that there are so many lovely choices. This is why I want to encourage you to volunteer at a bird rescue or if that is not possible find a bird store that doesn't mind if you spend days observing and interacting with their birds.

Most parrots live for such a long time, so take the time to make sure what ever species you chose is the right one for you and your lifestyle. Allowing the parrot to choose you will also make such a big difference. My dream bird had always been an african grey, but when I went to look at birds. The two greys they had wanted nothing to do with me. A female eclectus was in love with me from first sight.
She flew over and landed on my shoulder and started preening my hair. I didn't buy her that day as I had heard female ekkies could be difficult and I knew ekkies did not have a standard parrot diet. Three more visits looking at other birds they had and she came home with me. I have the strongest bond with her than any of the previous parrots that I have owned. I cannot stress how important it is to let the bird choose you.

Also keep in mind the larger the bird the more expensive everything it needs will be. I have a red-lored amazon. He didn't choose me and I didn't choose him. Fate brought us together. Our journey has not been easy, but I adore him. He chews up $100.00 a month in just toys. As far as monthly costs, he is my most expensive parrot.
Hi. I have not been all over the place I have simply picked 4 species I love and been researching on every aspect of each for the past 3 months and landed on the amazon. I asked this question as have seen very different thoughts on napped . I am a mature woman that has hand raised parrots and children . I am simply doing due diligence. My goal is to find a few amazons so one can choose me. I am working closely with a breeder (known and proven experience) to make the right choice. I am across costs, maintenance, diet etc.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Well, I certainly can't blame you after your research to decide an amazon is for you :) I love them! The ultimate "wear their heart on their sleeve" birds. Once you start paying attention to their body language, you'll always know what they want, don't want, and where exactly you stand.

My first zon was a BFA, and we bought him as a rehome before I really had a clue what I was doing. I took the word of the previous owners about diet and such, and and lordy was that wrong. We never really bonded, he preferred my wife, but was never aggressive or anything with me. He was smart and funny, and ultimately, my ignorance failed him. After several years, we decided it was time for another bird, and my first ekkie found me. That's when I first understood what it meant to be chosen, and my relationship with him was magical. I did TONS of research about him and his diet before I felt comfortable enough to bring him home. Fair to say, I've learned a lot since then, and I always continue to learn.

Anyway, as mentioned above, if there's any way you could volunteer or at least spend time at a rescue, the gained experience is invaluable, and you just might meet the one who chooses you. If you're willing to keep an open mind, you may find the one for you might be something you hadn't even thought of. That's how I wound up with an ekkie, and then when I wasn't planning on another bird at all, my beautiful Baxter picked me. :) This is her. 650 grams of love... For me... Anyone else, not so much šŸ¤£
20230115_143046.jpg

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My story with Bingo is not to dissimilar.
Bought him from an individual way back in 85 and knew very little about proper care and feeding.
We are best buddies and believe his age to be about 39 years old.
If he was female and not male I think it would chang my handling of him and perhaps our relationship.

I would have to remove his box from the cage.
I would have to stop petting him on the back.
And other things that could lead to egg laying.

Of the 2 Amazon parrots I have/had that I think were female.
Pacho liked me and we were bonded nearly as strong as with Bingo.
Patch never laid an egg despite mating with Plumas her partner.
IMG_7148.jpeg

Luna my other assumed female is still new in Amazon time.
I got her as a rescue in late 2017.
She is half wild and isnā€™t very interested in having human friends She has Merlin and both birds are still young and trying to figure things out.
IMG_1208.jpeg

Most Reactions

Latest posts