Parrots
Buzz - CAG,
Ziggy - Nanday/Sun Conure,
Jasper - Goffin
Loki - Starling
Gloria - Foster CAG
taprock-albums-birds-picture19162-img-4827.jpg
Ziggy yesterday after his bath.

Two years ago the 16th was on a Saturday and a full blown snow storm. My husband, who tolerates my birds but says the only bird he likes is the turkey in the freezer, was called in at 4 a.m. to plow the roads. He worked until 1 p.m. and then drove 2 1/2 hours one way on horrible roads so I could pick up Ziggy. I met the previous owner in a Walmart parking lot, paid $200 and loaded Ziggy and his cage into our car as he clung to the side of the cage and screamed "I'm gonna hurt it". He smelled like he was a two pack a day smoker who had tried to cover it with air freshener. I ended up having a reaction to the smell since in whiteout conditions opening the window doesn't work well. Our return trip was more than 3 hours of me with white knuckles and we came home in 20 inches of snow. Ziggy didn't come to me as Ziggy but I named him on that ride home - kept me busy so I wouldn't panic.
The first year Ziggy wouldn't come out of his cage, screamed a lot, bit everyone and didn't understand how to fly. He flapped like crazy but wouldn't let go with his feet. He was moved to a new cage which he only used two perches and wouldn't explore the rest.
Skip ahead and now I tend to forget how bad things were at the beginning. Ziggy still doesn't like to come out of his cage, but I can reach in and pet him without being bit. He still doesn't understand playing with toys but he doesn't scream all the time. When I do get him out of the cage he is sweet, loves to groom me and tolerates showers.
Ziggy is also a great guard bird. He has multiple times alerted me to predators in the back yard. He has let us know when coyote, fox, eagles and hawk are around, although he also screams at deer, crow and chickens so it's a trade off.
I sometimes wish for a sweet and cuddly bird but seeing the change in Ziggy is a great reward. I believe he ended up here for a reason and our house is better for it.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
He’s beautiful - and so lucky to have you. It sounds like he had a rough start but has really made strides since coming to your household! Happy gotcha day :)

DebraS

Jan 16, 2018
Kelowna BC Canads
Parrots
Baby,2yr old male green cheek conure
I'm getting paid help with my male 2 yr old gcc with the Parrot Whisperer. He gives paid help over Skype if you are interested. He also has lots of youtube help videos.
[email protected] is their email address, if you have questions. They have been a help to me, maybe they will for you. Thanks for sharing your story.

Most Reactions

Latest posts