10 weeks baby Banks1

Banks01

Mar 28, 2011
Media
Texas
Parrots
Yellow sided Green Cheek
Hi I am new to the forum and have posted where i recived and when i recivd bank in the new members page, sorry i am new to forums all together. Well Banks is 10 weeks old, I have had him a week, he was orginaly going to be purchaced from About Us but thins didnt go as planned so they sent me to BOB'S PARROTLETS there friend who had two tame and weaned yellow sided green cheeks, I got one of them now will be dna tested soon. So Banks) - just so yall know i did alot of researh on green cheeks some said they are best for a 1st time bird owner. So I have had Banks a week, I am still trying to understand behavior, when trying t get him t come out of the cage sometimes he nips and chirps at me like he is mad, then when he s out he is real nice but will still bite at times and it has left marks, banks is really good with my 5 year old, has niped the 7 year old and now he is scared of him. I hhave a nice cage lots of room it opens at top, i do need a play gym for him. Is it normal for him to be nippy this much, maybe he still needs to get use to us, what kind of activites should i do with him when he is out of the cage? when he does nip i say no firmly and put him back in cage then go talk to him after about a min or two, then i let him back out he like to go to the screen window a sit there when i go to get him off he gets mad and nips and gives me attitude like no! I am happy here! there is so much i still need to learn from him! i would type more but my baby is crying and I need to get Banks off the screens again, im just scared these old fasion windows will close down on him, and that would not be right!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
1st don't put your hands into cage, that is his space! tell the children that to! my son has been told never to put his hands into nuts cage, even when she looks her sweetest, easiest way is put a perch onto door and when your about to let banks out tell him to go to perch, if he is not already on it waiting lol, then get him to step up onto your hand, the cage is his space, in his mind

do not leave your children unattended with banks, and tell your children they need to be calm and not make sudden movements or make/ask banks do anything, my son is nuts fav chew person, cos he will not read her body language. parrots can have subtle to very clear body language, if the children put there hands towards banks and he turns even his head, it means he does not want to, if that hand gets closer, bite! in time banks will not give warning and just go to bite, so as soon as he turns even with you, walk away or step back.
but let your kids play around banks, especially building blocks etc nothing with sudden loud sounds, nut loves to see whats my son finds interesting, she will even walk across the floor for a better look

i had my step daughters little girl over last wk, she chattered none stop, nut took to swoopin low over her head, every time she chattered to much, this made her stop chattering lol and calmed her down a little, but when ever children or teenagers are in my house i give them clear instuctions, nut is friendly, will climb all over ppl, but that does not mean she'll let strangers/kids touch or stroke her

as for the windows thats nuts fav place, her main cage is in front of them, i cannot think what to do to keep him off, other then if you can put his cage in front that way he can sit on his cage

as for nippin his young, an even young puppies bite, get plenty of chew toys, corn cobs are good lol but it is important you take note of his body language to avoid his warning nips, as he will get older and smarter. start basic training of step up and step down, slow down your interaction with him, let him get use to his new home, for now

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Im tired today....so no long typing... Suebee is right on... :)

OP
Banks01

Banks01

Mar 28, 2011
Media
Texas
Parrots
Yellow sided Green Cheek
thanks so much. ok I will work on everything you told me, i really do need to get a play gym because when he is out he just wants to roam every where, his cage opens up at the top, but he really doesnt hang out up there, yah i can tell when he wants out or at least i think, he goes to the bottm and circles and climbs up by the door, he really is quiet for most of the day, i know green cheeks are quite but he only chirps when he is mad or somethimes a call chrip for me. The first week has been interesting! I doi cook for him, squash, corn on the cob, really alot of veggies and do provide fresh fruit i do give seed only pellets. I cleaned his cage yesterday i change the paper everyday! can you suggest some games i can play while he is out, i have been doing a circle or trying to get him to do it then i give him a seed. I have been making toys at home and bought a few. thanks again!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
ok before investing in a play gym, see what your bird like's 1st :) my nuts got a lovely 1 and she wont go near it :(

if banks likes the window area, perhaps look at a stand type perch you can attach toys, levels on. just a suggestion

lol i've just managed to train nut to stop trying to chew my hands off, well thats a lie lol its cos she is no longer in season, but what i have noticed when ever i ask nut to do something she likes to think on it, lol and take her time. sometimes she does it asap, and others she won't so choose a time of day when there are no distractions and your bird is in the mood to do things for you, otherwise you will both get fraustrated over it. think there are some videos on U-tube

OP
Banks01

Banks01

Mar 28, 2011
Media
Texas
Parrots
Yellow sided Green Cheek
thanks, so as of right now i take him out and play with him i give him a seed as a treat only, and we practice tricks or should i just say circles thats all ive been teaching him, then after that i just hold and pet him he like to get off and fly well try to fly to certain areas of the house i don't mind but should i not get him use to that or just try to keep him in one place with me? I looked at some play gyms online and i have a uncle who can make me one:) so until then i guess its just out to play on my hand also i put newspaper on the table and that is where we do the tricks/circle, need more ideas or tricks:)

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
i'd say start with movements that are natural to him, but for trick training i have no idea, but try not to do to many at once or poor banks might get confused or think your rather bossy :p

Most Reactions

Latest posts