13 Months, finally! Bee-Bee / Canary Winged Parakeet Update

globalist1337

Feb 18, 2021
Western NY
Parrots
2 Canary Winged BeeBees
Pablo and Petey
Both born late 2019
I was at petsmart buying food for my cat 13 months ago, and saw the most adorable two little 11 month old beebee's. The one was resting her head on her mates shoulder, as they stared at me in curiosity. Their display was so tiny. Smaller than a budgies! They looked healthy, but their energy was very sad. So I adopted both, brought them home to a pissed off girlfriend (now fiance.) And after 13 months, FINALLY Pablo is eating out of my hand!!!!!!

In 13 months, they've had three different cages. We started with the biggest one I can find in my city... Was way to small but minimum requirements I guess. Then I bought them a really big really tall cage. However it was flimsy and was a pain to clean... a pain... Now they have a high end, beautiful solid cage, and a massive playset outside of their cage where they hang out while we are out work, they have their own room and I keep the door closed, and check on them occasionally with a 4k baby monitor I have installed.

These birds are no joke. I would never, ever recommend them for a first time bird owner. Pablo, the male; runs the place. He is so entitled, and bossy, and protective of his mate that he will attack you! He hates my fiance, but loves her mom. I LOVE IT! This little guy has the attitude of a mongoose.. There is no reasoning with him, he always has to have his way. I just love how such a small creature, has such a massive presence, its unbelievable. If he doesn't know you, and you get too close to his cage, he will puff out his little chest, and will head straight to you like a little soldier. His mate, her name was Che, until a few months ago we did a blood test and it's a female. I am waiting for a special name to come by to name her, in no rush. She is extremely submissive to pablo, he eats first, she doesn't even make eye contact with me anymore. She turns her back to me and tries to hide, where at first she was the more confident one. I'm still working on her, but anytime I go near her Pablo shows off and gives me little pecks on my hand. he's not trying to hurt me but he's being a show off.

Finally today, I come home from work as I've done everyday now for over a year, the same pattern. I give them fresh water (with a tiny amount of vitamin mix,) change their food, clean up, hang out for a bit, play a little music for them. Pablo came right up to me as I was putting food in their cages, they have two bowls, one for treats and one for a pellet / seed blend I feed them (separate apparatus for fresh food) and pablo came right up to me and just waited there until I poured the small amounts of treats, and he came to my hand and reached for the seeds. Then I grabbed one and brought it close to him, he aggressively took it! The first time he's ever let me feed him! That went on for 5-6 seeds, he dropped most of them, then he realized if he is more gentle, they don't fall, so after the 10-12th seed, he was very gentle and careful with taking the seed with his beak. It took some serious time and effort, it's so miniscule but I tried everything with these birds.

My neighbor is a biologist and has a ton of birds, she gave me tons of advice and helped me set up their cage. Even her advice didn't do much, and they didn't really like her either lol. But it's progress.. I hope by the next 13 months, they will both come to me and crawl on me and hopefully get out of their cage more. They have a whole room to theirs elves, with nice big cage and a whole playground, I'd like for them to enjoy it more.

For new owners, my birds really love music.. loud music. They go nuts (in a good way) when they hear it, they start singing, and become very energetic and playful.

Do you think Pablo will let me feed the other bird? Is it bad that he is so protective of her, and so controlling? She is extremely submissive to him, and now he's much bigger than her because he always eats first.

Thank you for reading!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Thanks for the update! Pablo doesn't show signs of hormonal behavior around the other bird, correct? If she is getting enough food and living the way she should, don't worry - many pairs of birds do this. But keep a close eye on them just in case.

OP
globalist1337

globalist1337

Feb 18, 2021
Western NY
Parrots
2 Canary Winged BeeBees
Pablo and Petey
Both born late 2019
Thanks for the update! Pablo doesn't show signs of hormonal behavior around the other bird, correct? If she is getting enough food and living the way she should, don't worry - many pairs of birds do this. But keep a close eye on them just in case.
I took them to the best avian vet around here last Sept, she weighed both birds and she wasn't very concerned about the behavior. She is much smaller than the larger bird Pablo, but she has energy and when I'm not around she's in good spirits. Thank you!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My neighbor had a bee bee parakeet and it was the coolest little bird. Sadly, he accidentally sat on Gareth and felt VERY VERY bad. The guy has a brain injury from a motorcycle accident and is rather clumsy. He was so sad… now he has two parakeets but they aren’t very nice. He has said he doesn’t want little birds because they can get sat on☹️.

I told him that I accidentally sat on Lucy once thinking that she was a sock. Luckily I didn’t sit down hard and she was just very startled. But I do wonder if my neighbor might do better with a puppy that would give him more company and be more pettable.

That was a super nice bird. I would enjoy a little guy like that. Might even be almost as good as a QUAKER…. Gareth was such a fun little bird.

Most Reactions