16 year old green cheek conure losing weight

Carolineq12

Jul 16, 2021
Hello!
I am Caroline and my parrots name is Senna.
He has had watery stool for months now. I have taken him to the vet 5 times. 3 of which were to an avian vet. She finally discovered he had a yeast infection in his craw. His stools are much smaller and less watery but on occasion he has a very voluminous watery stool. He is a picky eater. Always has been. I give him benebac gel, sunshine vitamin A and an anti inflammatory daily. Any suggestions on what he might like to eat? He sometimes likes pasta and eats the safflower seeds and some zoopreem pellets. He doesn't like peanuts or sweet potatoes or almonds or dried fruit. He eats some soaked birdie biscuits and granola. I feel like I have tried everything. He has much improved but isn't thriving. I will weigh him.
Any suggestions? He sometimes regurgitate on his foot. Nothing comes out.
Thank you. I got a lot out of this site. I also have:32:

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Hi Caroline,

Thanks for taking such good care of Senna.

Some food are too much fat rich and must be avoided as a long term offer in order to avoid liver problems. Other foods as corn cob may be difficult to process worsen yeast craw infections...

I had a situation with my Pacific parrotlet that was in the weaning phase and got too much corn cob in the craw. He just could not get rid of it and a small solid volume seemed to be inside the bottom of the craw. I treated him with 2 drops of Nystatin 3 times per day for 3 days and he recovered quite well.

I beg you to not use Nystatin in your bird without asking to your vet advise as I am not a veterniray.

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
C

Carolineq12

Jul 16, 2021
Thank you. I think the medication you mentioned was what I gave him. He is curious about different foods but he just isn't eating very well. He just ate a lot of brown rice. I make him pasta which he takes a few bites of. I guess that is something? He really has no favorite food. 😔

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
I am sorry to hear he is not that interested in food.

Does he is still loosing weight? Are you measuring this how often and how?

Please observe if after a couple of hours without eating he still have a sort of mass inside the craw. If it is so, try to feel it and rank it as something hard or soft. If it is kind of dense or stiff, it may be the reason he is not eating and he probably will need to restart the treatment.

You can help him putting a heat source besides his cage, leaving at a distance he can choose to approach for heating up or to distance himself to cool off.

Birds need to keep their temperature near 38-39?C degrees. If they are fighting some sort of infection, they tend to use the energy for it and after awhile they start to loose heat. Then their body needs to heat up spending more energy and taking more time and resources to fight the infection.

So keeping him warm might leave the body fully "focused" on fighting any possible infection.

Please discuss this with your vet before trying, as I do not have the whole picture and this might not be the best approach.

Good luck

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Caroline and Senna! Has the avian vet done labs for baseline well-check?

Some birds naturally picky and cling to a few preferred foods. Check this link for suggestions to widen his choices: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

Parrots tend to flock-eat, might try preparing two identical bowls of assorted veggies + fruits aka "chop." Give one to Senna, begin eating from yours. Make "mmmm" sounds, bob your head in delight. Be patient, birds may dis a food literally for years before taking a nibble and loving!

OP
C

Carolineq12

Jul 16, 2021
Hello All,
I my vet saw that Senna was still losing weight and deferred us to a certified avian vet an hour and a half away. He talked to me for an hour and basically NOTHING is wrong with him. All I have to do is transition him to more pellets. I can't stress enough how important going to a board certified avian veterinarian. Thank you for your tips and attention.
Caroline

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hello All,
I my vet saw that Senna was still losing weight and deferred us to a certified avian vet an hour and a half away. He talked to me for an hour and basically NOTHING is wrong with him. All I have to do is transition him to more pellets. I can't stress enough how important going to a board certified avian veterinarian. Thank you for your tips and attention.
Caroline
So pleased Senna will be evaluated by board certified avian vet. Good luck Caroline, please update us with assessment, we're all hoping for the very best!!

Most Reactions