1st time Conure dad; needs guidance/advice

Anhdy

Dec 3, 2021
Parrots
Dusky head conure
Hi everyone, I’m Anhdy and 1st time conure dad(previously had budgies before when I was a kid)
i just got my 6 weeks old dusky head Conure 2 days…
Need some advices…
My baby was quiet the first day when I brought it back. Since yesterday, he has been making noises almost nonstop when I’m around, even when I carried it. Is it something that I need to know?
I hand feed it twice a day, morning and night(about 12 hours apart) with about 12ml of baby mix. And I leave some pellets, fresh water & millet stick for it in the day when I’m out to work.
I understand Conure make noises for certain reasons; I would like to know so I can understand it better and provide the best care
Thank you very much in advance

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. At 2 days he is still getting acclimated to his now surroundings. Just let him scope out the digs. Good idea to leave the pellets and other foods out; he will try them when he is ready.

OP
Anhdy

Anhdy

Dec 3, 2021
Parrots
Dusky head conure
Welcome and be welcomed. At 2 days he is still getting acclimated to his now surroundings. Just let him scope out the digs. Good idea to leave the pellets and other foods out; he will try them when he is ready.
Thank you for the reply! Very much appreciated

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
id be very worried that he is not fully weaned and needs more feeding!!! If he us begging calling feed him! Burds wean by abundance and food security not by force weaned. Young birds can get in serious trouble fast as in dead.
Weigh him every morning , I'm nit sure how fast should still be gaining, or if us at near adult weight. But should be loosing weight.

OP
Anhdy

Anhdy

Dec 3, 2021
Parrots
Dusky head conure
id be very worried that he is not fully weaned and needs more feeding!!! If he us begging calling feed him! Burds wean by abundance and food security not by force weaned. Young birds can get in serious trouble fast as in dead.
Weigh him every morning , I'm nit sure how fast should still be gaining, or if us at near adult weight. But should be loosing weight.
Thank you for your kind advice… now I’m starting to worry 😅
he’s also screech after feeding… only stopped when he’s playing with something & sleeping…
He’s 6 weeks old according to the seller so at this age, should be fully weaned?
when I got it, it has the one number ring on its right then the restraint ring for the chain on the left… should I remove them?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
6 weeks, I don't think it would be weaned yet. You can try doing more feedings, and its possible it might need a couple of more ml per feeding. But I'm not an expert, I do have some links I can look for.
I would remove any restraint rings for sure. In USA we don't chain them. Its so easy for them to break a leg thdt way.
Such a lovely species, but I haven't worked with or met one.
How much does this bird weigh?

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Have you weighed your bird?
How's it going? Giving more feedings ?

OP
Anhdy

Anhdy

Dec 3, 2021
Parrots
Dusky head conure
Have you weighed your bird?
How's it going? Giving more feedings ?
I have yet to weigh it as I don’t have a weighing machine😅
I‘m still feeding it twice a day as I’m staying alone so it has to be before and after work… I can feed more during weekends but will it disturb its feeding pattern?
I’ve bought this fruit mixed pellets to add to the existing pellet, apparently, it’s eating those😁
thank you so much for the concern❤️

Most Reactions