1st week with Peanut

Kattoo2

Mar 29, 2023
Parrots
Has a rescue Cockatoo that rules my life, and getting a rescue Ringnek soon
Peanut has settled in really well, loverly temprement, chatty and adapting to life with me, Frey and floki(my spoilt felines) and Zoey my other rescue(who is demanding)
Not let him out of his cage yet, Zoey has free range of my home. (ammends Queen Zoey), think after 2 or 3 weeks I will let him out to fly around (will ensure my felines are not about and Queen Zoey in her cage)
In one week, he is not scared anymore, I do put fresh food (fruit and seperate pellets and seeds) and water into his cage daily, late afternoon I steam fresh veg for him and Zoey. (he gets really chatty when he sees me cooking in the kitchen)
Also clean his cage daily, I love watching him and Zoey interacting they mimic each other's movements.
I talk to him softly, sitting next to his cage, so does Zoey ensuring he does not feel left out. Also after I hVe put the Queen to bed, I sit and interact with Peanut alone.
To my utter joy and delight, yesterday and today he took a small snack out of my hands. (this is progress)
I am loving this journey of joy and discovery :)
IMG-20230408-WA0006.jpg

Tanglwood02

Mar 27, 2023
Media
Albums
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
One Goffins cockatoo. I would love more but she hates other birds!
Oh! I just saw she is a cockatoo! I would love to have a large cockatoo but my little Goffins is loud enough and I live in a condo! They are pretty sound proof but not sure against the big boys and girls!

OP
Kattoo2

Kattoo2

Mar 29, 2023
Parrots
Oh! I just saw she is a cockatoo! I would love to have a large cockatoo but my little Goffins is loud enough and I live in a condo! They are pretty sound proof but not sure against the big boys and girls!
What are goffins like? Queen Zoey is only loud when throws tantrums. (I am forever apologizing to my neighbors lol

Tanglwood02

Mar 27, 2023
Media
Albums
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
One Goffins cockatoo. I would love more but she hates other birds!
What are goffins like? Queen Zoey is only loud when throws tantrums. (I am forever apologizing to my neighbors lol
I love her. She is much smaller than the larger cockatoos, I've read the Goffins are the smallest of the cockatoos, she's probably 10" from the end of her tail to the top of her head. She screeches when she wants attention, feels she is being ignored, or has been left in a room by herself. They are not as loud as the bigger cockatoos but when she is sitting on my shoulder and screeches it is loud! I've watched so many videos of Moluccans and crested cockatoos and they are so engaging and funny. Sugar can be very engaging on her terms but she doesn't play like the birds I see in the youtube videos.

OP
Kattoo2

Kattoo2

Mar 29, 2023
Parrots
I love her. She is much smaller than the larger cockatoos, I've read the Goffins are the smallest of the cockatoos, she's probably 10" from the end of her tail to the top of her head. She screeches when she wants attention, feels she is being ignored, or has been left in a room by herself. They are not as loud as the bigger cockatoos but when she is sitting on my shoulder and screeches it is loud! I've watched so many videos of Moluccans and crested cockatoos and they are so engaging and funny. Sugar can be very engaging on her terms but she doesn't play like the birds I see in the youtube videos.
She sounds loverly, screeches and all :)
Queen Zoey is what I call a *velcro bird* preferably attached to me, legs, shoulder, top of my head, my lap. I am her mobile entertainment unit lol
Very demanding, as her confidence grows, she is turning into a quiet a character, loving, unpredictable, morphs from utter love to nippy.
Peanut is still adjusting, but what a cheerful, happy soul, both bring me so much joy.

Most Reactions