2 Cages upstairs and downstairs

Soupspoon1223

Mar 3, 2024
Parrots
None currently but have owned a cherry headed conure and a sun conure.
Would it be bad to keep two cages for my GCC? I'd like to keep one downstairs for daytime which is her main cage, but also have one for her upstairs too. I work downstairs all day for my job and my husband is downstairs too most of the day (retired). In the evening sometimes I spend time upstairs as I have a separate tv room off of my bedroom. I'd love to be able to bring her upstairs with me to spend time. It would also help with the other pets in our house to not be kept in our bedroom for long periods of time while she's out downstairs during the day. Kind of like switching it up. Would this cause too much stress on her? She's just a baby and learning our home, but I'd like to be able to have her close to me to bond with her. Also---my hubby and I spend a lot of time together during the day and we also need our own time. Any thoughts or ideas would be vey helpful. Thanks in advance.

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
Would it be bad to keep two cages for my GCC? I'd like to keep one downstairs for daytime which is her main cage, but also have one for her upstairs too. I work downstairs all day for my job and my husband is downstairs too most of the day (retired). In the evening sometimes I spend time upstairs as I have a separate tv room off of my bedroom. I'd love to be able to bring her upstairs with me to spend time. It would also help with the other pets in our house to not be kept in our bedroom for long periods of time while she's out downstairs during the day. Kind of like switching it up. Would this cause too much stress on her? She's just a baby and learning our home, but I'd like to be able to have her close to me to bond with her. Also---my hubby and I spend a lot of time together during the day and we also need our own time. Any thoughts or ideas would be vey helpful. Thanks in advance.
I am not familiar specifically with GCC but this is a great idea! Also have you considered a play stand or tree? It is less stressful to be with you rather than not. The key to happy parrots is exposure to many new things. Then everything just becomes "normal" and safe and okay.

Have fun with your new baby! Make sure she is eating healthy!!

OP
S

Soupspoon1223

Mar 3, 2024
Parrots
I am not familiar specifically with GCC but this is a great idea! Also have you considered a play stand or tree? It is less stressful to be with you rather than not. The key to happy parrots is exposure to many new things. Then everything just becomes "normal" and safe and okay.

Have fun with your new baby! Make sure she is eating healthy!!
I think a tree is a great idea. I do have a nice play stand and a really cheap one that I can put on top a table I have upstairs that might work too. Thank you.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Absolutely nothing wrong with two cages. I have two: one upstairs in my ekkies room, and one downsstairs for when he’s with us. Downstairs is where he always eats his meals. but I also put him there when I can’t supervise him out and about. He has a plays tand he’s out on when not in this downstairs cage.

I can’t imagine living without two cages + play stand/t-stand for vegging out. .#firstworldproblems

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Having two cages in different spots is fine. I have that with my birds and I can't see a problem with it. It gives the birds different scenery

OP
S

Soupspoon1223

Mar 3, 2024
Parrots
Thank you all for your comments. I have a small cage that was her temporary home for a few days until we got her big cage. She wont come out of my finger yet but it's just been over a week. She does come out of her cage on her own and will fly over to me at my work desk and fly right back. I'm hoping once I can get her out of her cage consistently on her own free will that I can move her up and down stairs with me. I'm also considering this as a possible sleeping cage because even though I am covering her cage at night with a blankie around 8pm my husband watches tv up until midnight each night. Must be nice to be retired. LOL. I want to make sure she's actually getting enough sleep, and I start work downstairs at 7:30am.

Most Reactions