2 conures passed away

Sparkly1

Jul 15, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conureā€™s
Iā€™m heartbroken, we have 2, 9 month old pineapple conures and I came down this morning and they were both dead at the bottom of the cage.

Yesterday they seemed fineā€¦ oneā€™s tail looked a little ragged but thatā€™s itā€¦ they have a great diet, fresh water, they come out regularly. We donā€™t use any air fresheners or sprays. We donā€™t cook near them. Itā€™s not too hot or cold etc. I just donā€™t understand how they can both die at the exact same time. Is it something we have done? I feel horrible. Any advice?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Very sorry to read this, you have my sympathy. Possible causes really should be determined, especially if you plan on getting more parrots. Cooking near or far from parrots is problematical, if you're using anything with a non-stick coating, anything at all, this could be one cause. Latent illness from the breeder or source is another. Best would be a forensic exam by an Certified Avian Vet, bit tat needs to be done today, before any necrosis sets in. Those poor babies, I am so sad for them.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I'm so sorry, this must be a devastating shock.

I second the suggestion to make sure you have nothing with PFOE/PFOA/PTFe or other toxins in your home. Cookware, bakeware, space heaters are the most common problems this time of year. Since they both passed at the same time I would worry more about toxin exposure than something they ate but it's impossible to know without a necropsy.

My condolences ā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļø

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I'm so sorry for your loss :( it's really sad that they both had to go.

I just want you to know that whatever happened, is not your fault. Wether you accidentally exposed your birds to something unsafe or they died from illness, it was out of your control.

Sending hugs your way.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I lost two birds in my home 15 yrs ago and because of them found that there was a bad gas leak in my house. I would have those possibilities checked out. My birds saved my life.

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
Sending along lots of virtual hugs along with my deepest sympathies for losing your beloved conures. I am going to agree with the others about cookware and check for gas leaks. Are you using any kind of space heater near the bird cage?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very sorry for your loss!!
Huge Amazon Feather Hugs and Warm Prayers your way!!

The lost of two Parrots (as noted above) suggests an environmental toxin of some kind. And it is well worth a detailed review of activities and chemicals used in the home for the prior 24 hours.

Most Reactions