updates update on Rascal

Derpology

Jun 22, 2021
USA east coast
Parrots
Rascal aprox 37 yr Cockatoo
Hello,
2 months ago (roughly) I moved into my friends basement/in-law apartment with a (more or less) abandoned bird. His previous owner had lived in the apartment and she passed December 2019. from then on her bird was left alone and only saw people when his TV turned off or when he was given new food/water, unfortunately he was often left for hours in silence. His previous owner has a son who is incredibly attached to the bird and wasn't up to sending him to a sanctuary or rehoming him in general. I saw this as an opportunity to move out of my parents house and to help a animal in need.

when I moved in his cage was overflowing with seed and feces I ended up removing a whole trash bag full of seed and feces from his cage. He wanted out of his cage so badly and was so happy when I opened his door to let him climb arround his cage and get onto his perch. his cage had dusty chains and bells where toys once were. I gave 1 new toy at a time not to overwhelm him. I changed out chains for handmade toys and store bought ones. I've given him a new perch that he really seems to like! he switched onto a pellet diet without any issue he used to only eat the "pellets" out of his seed so it wasn't really a surprise. He refuses veggies so I've made him some smoothies out of some greens and fruit that are safe, they smell kind of gross but he eats them if I sprinkle a few seeds on top.

I dont expect that well ever have a relationship where he will be comfortable on my shoulder or arm. I'm okay with that this little man has 37 years of trauma and I'm not expecting him to be perfect. from what he says I can tell he hasn't been treated very kindly. He says "stop it" "knock it off" "shut up" and a few swears. He also Yells "STEVE GET UP GET UP" wich can be explained as Steve (his previous owners son) was 8 and attending school when Rascal was brought into the home. I dont say anything negative to him even if he's been a terror that day I still tell him nicely that I love him and that he is very handsome.

Our relationship is getting stronger though he yells less when I leave the room he is learning that yelling wont make me come back or look at him. Steve's method of getting the screaming to stop was to say "use your words" over and over until rascal stopped(n). Steve also tried to encourage me to pet Rascal all over wich I refused to do. I can only imagine that contributes to rascals aggression. Rascal allows me to touch his head and feet I dont want to touch anywhere else that may further his sexual frustration. I take caution petting his beak as he does tend to lunge at random.

I work full time so i play kids cartoon livestreams on my computer (where he can see) then I come home and spend the rest of the afternoon cleaning up after him and chatting/singing with him. He seems to like mickey mouse, Peppa pig and the amazing world of gumball.
I'm still looking at a new cage to purchase I've been looking at used but nothings panned out yet. I've found out the biggest I can supply him is 5ft L X 4ft W 8ft H and I'm willing to spend whatever I need to to give him a good quality of life.

that's about everything that's new Thank you all for you kindness and support

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Thank you so much for this update. It is so sad to hear about how he was being treated and I am so glad to hear how much you are making his life better!!!!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Hello,
2 months ago (roughly) I moved into my friends basement/in-law apartment with a (more or less) abandoned bird. His previous owner had lived in the apartment and she passed December 2019. from then on her bird was left alone and only saw people when his TV turned off or when he was given new food/water, unfortunately he was often left for hours in silence. His previous owner has a son who is incredibly attached to the bird and wasn't up to sending him to a sanctuary or rehoming him in general. I saw this as an opportunity to move out of my parents house and to help a animal in need.

when I moved in his cage was overflowing with seed and feces I ended up removing a whole trash bag full of seed and feces from his cage. He wanted out of his cage so badly and was so happy when I opened his door to let him climb arround his cage and get onto his perch. his cage had dusty chains and bells where toys once were. I gave 1 new toy at a time not to overwhelm him. I changed out chains for handmade toys and store bought ones. I've given him a new perch that he really seems to like! he switched onto a pellet diet without any issue he used to only eat the "pellets" out of his seed so it wasn't really a surprise. He refuses veggies so I've made him some smoothies out of some greens and fruit that are safe, they smell kind of gross but he eats them if I sprinkle a few seeds on top.

I dont expect that well ever have a relationship where he will be comfortable on my shoulder or arm. I'm okay with that this little man has 37 years of trauma and I'm not expecting him to be perfect. from what he says I can tell he hasn't been treated very kindly. He says "stop it" "knock it off" "shut up" and a few swears. He also Yells "STEVE GET UP GET UP" wich can be explained as Steve (his previous owners son) was 8 and attending school when Rascal was brought into the home. I dont say anything negative to him even if he's been a terror that day I still tell him nicely that I love him and that he is very handsome.

Our relationship is getting stronger though he yells less when I leave the room he is learning that yelling wont make me come back or look at him. Steve's method of getting the screaming to stop was to say "use your words" over and over until rascal stopped(n). Steve also tried to encourage me to pet Rascal all over wich I refused to do. I can only imagine that contributes to rascals aggression. Rascal allows me to touch his head and feet I dont want to touch anywhere else that may further his sexual frustration. I take caution petting his beak as he does tend to lunge at random.

I work full time so i play kids cartoon livestreams on my computer (where he can see) then I come home and spend the rest of the afternoon cleaning up after him and chatting/singing with him. He seems to like mickey mouse, Peppa pig and the amazing world of gumball.
I'm still looking at a new cage to purchase I've been looking at used but nothings panned out yet. I've found out the biggest I can supply him is 5ft L X 4ft W 8ft H and I'm willing to spend whatever I need to to give him a good quality of life.

that's about everything that's new Thank you all for you kindness and support
That is absolutely *brilliant* news and thanks so much for the update! Y'know, it can take months, even years, for a neglected bird to open up to new people, so just keep on doing what you're doing.

Just in case you want to try, I used this method to teach my inherited 30+ galah how to step up. He never grew to love me, but did learn to eat pellets, to fly, to screech and to step up. :)

OP
Derpology

Derpology

Jun 22, 2021
USA east coast
Parrots
That is absolutely *brilliant* news and thanks so much for the update! Y'know, it can take months, even years, for a neglected bird to open up to new people, so just keep on doing what you're doing.

Just in case you want to try, I used this method to teach my inherited 30+ galah how to step up. He never grew to love me, but did learn to eat pellets, to fly, to screech and to step up. :)

Thank you, Ill keep working with him. He is very unpredictable so I dont think he will be willing to step up anytime soon but ill keep note of the video. were not quite at a point where I'm comfortable feeding him small foods by hand. he is randomly aggressive with no warning, I was just giving him head scratches and suddenly out of nowhere tried to bite my palm.

OP
Derpology

Derpology

Jun 22, 2021
USA east coast
Parrots
Today I was picking up some new food for rascal at my local pet store. I saw their budgies and conjures and Quaker parrots and it got me thinking about the potential benefits for rascal if I got another bird.
by no means am I trying to impulsively buy another bird.
Rascals previous owner had several birds that rascal would be able to talk to and socialize with. about 3-4ish years ago when her husband passed she rehomed what she had left of her birds with the exception to rascal who was her husbands favorite. Although I could never trust rascal to physically interact with a smaller bird I've been told he lived with a budgie for many years as well as an African grey without aggression. How true that is .. I dont know its just the info I've been given.

I feel like him getting to see another bird that will whistle or squawk back at him will benefit him and he may feel like he has a flock again.
I've been wondering if he sees me with a smaller bird positively interacting maybe his behavior and aggression may subside. Of Corse the possibility for the opposite is always possible.

anyways I'm curious as to your thoughts. is this even remotely a good idea? what do you guys think would come from it? if at all what kind of bird might be a good idea? again I'm not trying to buy a new bird because I just want to. I'm trying to do everything I can to help rascal enjoy the rest of his life, and if this could benefit him ill do it.

Most Reactions