2 ringnecks in a flight cage together

May 17, 2020
Hi I was just wondering if 2 ringnecks can be kept together in a flight cage together as I feel bad for keeping one as I know birds are social animals.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I think it depends on the birds and how well they get along. I have an IRN who is by herself in a flight cage. I have two love birds who adore each other in a flight cage next to my RN (enough space so they can visit each other but not touch through the bars). When my lovebirds where initially put together I had the 2 flight cages put together so if need be they could get away from the other.

Personally I would have the 2nd RN in a cage next to your 1st RN.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I wouldn't bank on it, although, as stated above, it may be possible, it is a big gamble.

NEVER buy a parrot for your parrot, as they may hate each other or complicate your life in other ways. Remember, if they fight (or try to mate) and cannot be out at the same time, then you are looking at 3 hours of out of cage time PER bird. Just because you think you are getting your bird a "friend", does not mean they will see it that way (even if they are the same species). Also, remember that at sexual maturity, birds change their behavior A LOT, so if you have a younger one right now, do not assume that just because it gets along with another bird that it will continue to do so long-term.

Last edited:
OP
S
May 17, 2020
Ok thanks guys I do spend time with him but u don't think they get lonely do u if I just keep one.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I mean, they are flock animals, so there is controversy around this, but if you spend enough time, you can fill that void somewhat, as long as you keep boundaries. The whole thing is, keeping parrots isn't natural, so..they may get lonely, but unless you have time for 2 separately (e.g., 6 hours of free time) it's ill-advised to take that plunge because you don't know if they will even get along..so unless you want another bird...I wouldn't just chance it (again, unless you do the math).

I currently have 1 (very needy) bird and she does fine because she has a lot of interaction whenever I am home...plus toys that I have taught her to play with etc.

1 may not be perfect (depending on who you ask) but 2 could be worse if you can't deal with one...you know? Not saying you can't but just saying that when one seems sad, make sure you could handle two if they cant be out together...companionship shouldn't motivate your purchase because it's a total gamble.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Ringnecks are birds that flock together in the wild and depend on the flock for moral support, protection and company. They will groom one another and roost together, keeping each other company during the times when you're not available. They'll even mate, which defuses some of the possible dependence on you for fulfilling 'that' part of their lives. Don't provide nesting materials and you won't get chicks.

My Alexandrines live very happily together. They squabble from time to time, but are generally the best of friends. Each is firmly bonded to me and each has its own separate personality as well.

There is *always* the possibility that a pair of birds won't get on and will fight. It's up to you to minimise that likelihood. Having said that, though, every animal behaviourist on the planet knows that relationships always begin with what we in Oz call 'a bit of a donny'. That would be a bit of side-eye, a bit of a whack, a bit of 'ow's yer farver and eventual harmony.

You wouldn't just plop a second bird into the established cage of a first bird. You'd need to plan the introduction and remove Bird #1 from the shared cage for a few weeks beforehand (that way, Bird #1 is less likely to view the shared cage as 'mine!'). You'd introduce the pair together into the shared cage, making sure there is plenty of room for both birds to 'own' territory (such as perches, water, food dishes etc). If the cage is small and toys not plentiful, then there will naturally be arguments over stuff.

Y'know, before people began anthropomorphising birds, aviarists just plopped them (birds, not people) together into cages and they (the birds) worked it out. Same thing happens in nature. It's like raising kids: you simply can't (and shouldn't) protect them from getting hurt in everyday life. They need to develop resilience and discover ways of negotiating. (NB. Of course, you're not about to stand by and watch murder occur either, but in my experience it rarely devolves to that).

In the end, the decision is yours. There is always the possibility that you'll end up with another cage to clean and two oppositional birds, but if you're careful and plan ahead that likelihood should be small.

Most Reactions