2 Unfortunate Passings, 1 New Addition </3 <3

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
🌴☀️Florida, USA☀️🌴
Parrots
🌟 𝓢𝓽𝓪𝓻𝓵𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽〘F Lutino Budgie〙🌟
✈️ 𝙅𝙪𝙣𝙞𝙤𝙧〘M Cinn-Turq-Pied-Spang Kakariki〙✈️
Been pretty reluctant to post this and had to take a hiatus from the forums.
We actually had two very unfortunate passings, one closely after the other.
Gremlin got very ill rather quickly and the vets were unable to save him. I don't even want to go into the experience we had at the animal hospital. I am beyond mortified.... While we were checking in and I was talking to the front desk personnel, some vet tech rushed in and swiped his cage away from me, before I could tell them the bottom wasn't very secure. He fell on the ground, because the cage bottomed out. Of course, she scurried off and the other vet techs helped get him to the back. After that, we were pretty certain he was going to pass. The vet comes in with this air-headed voice and is like "Well, his heart rate is a little elevated..." and at that point, I was dissociating too much to slap her...
Of course, later that evening we get a call, but we missed the call, then they called back 5 mins later asking if they could try to save him as he was going into cardiac arrest. When we told them we already consented to this and asked them if they had already begun, we got two different answers, both "yes" and "no".
Worst experience of my life.

Then about a week later Eggbertha had a prolapse. She had been laying eggs and then stopped for a bit. Then, started up again...almost two days later this happened. I had been giving her as many vitamins and calcium as I could. She was getting supplements in her food and water, because I was starting to get worried about the egg laying frequency. Then, of course, this happens.

I feel really bad, I wish there was more we could have done for them. I was working full time and the avian vets around here rarely have availability. It's pretty awful.

This happened maybe a couple months ago. I haven't been able to stomach telling you all yet.

We did get another kakariki who seems to be doing quite well. He's already much more vocal and active than Gremlin was, which I think may be an indication of better health. His wings were not clipped so he flies in safe areas, with supervision. He's actually a very rare coloring, a turquoise pied spangled. We first named him "Spirit", but my boyfriend changed it to "Junior" because they have the same hatch day....lol. Sometimes I call him "Polnareff" because his head reminds me of him.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I am sorry to read this, my thoughts are with you and your family. Losing a parrot is a heart wrenching thing, and many members have gone thru this over the years. Be consoled that you gave them love and the best you could do. Good Avian Vet care is very hard to find in some places and even then the level of expertise of staff may be uneven.

Fly high guys!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm so sorry to read of the loss of Eggbertha and Gremlin! Losing one is bad enough but to lose two in quick succession and in such circumstances is just awful and my heart hurts for you. 💔 💔Please accept my deepest condolences for your losses. But what a bright little soul your new baby is! No one bird can ever replace another, and we wouldn't want them to, but that precious little angel will certainly go a long way to help heal your heart, and i'm so glad he's there with you.

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, Eggbertha and Gremlin, until we all meet again 🙏🌈

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am so sorry for these two tragedies during the holiday season.

I did not know that kakarikis came in all those colors! I’m intrigued by them. I wonder if they are flighty-active or busy-active (like Quakers). Or how the personality compares. Since I will likely never have a kea as a pet or work with keas.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry for your terrible losses, my heart goes out to you. What you went through made a heartbreaking situation so much worse than it should have been.

I believe that Gremlin and Eggbertha are flying free across the Rainbow Bridge together, and they will live forever in your heart until you meet again.

I'm glad you shared with us, I think the majority of us have lost a beloved bird and we understand.
Sending my deepest condolences to you, and prayers of comfort.

Spirit -Junior - Polnareff is gorgeous! I'm so glad that you and he found each other. His colours are stunning! Please share more pictures as he grows:)

OP
aussie_wings

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
🌴☀️Florida, USA☀️🌴
Parrots
🌟 𝓢𝓽𝓪𝓻𝓵𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽〘F Lutino Budgie〙🌟
✈️ 𝙅𝙪𝙣𝙞𝙤𝙧〘M Cinn-Turq-Pied-Spang Kakariki〙✈️
Thank you all so much for the support!
We almost had a issue the other day (like the day after I made this post) and I about lost my sanity. Junior bonked into the window. He was a bit stunned for a few minutes then made a full recovery with 30 mins. It was horrific, boyfriend called me on the phone crying his eyes out, and we were trying to get an avian vet. I told him how to handle Junior after this happened and what to look for, but within minutes he was better and when I got home from work, I would never have assumed anything happened. He just moved into a new house, so Junior was not yet familiar with the windows, I suppose. He wasn't flying very fast from what I heard.
I checked him over when I got home, he had no signs of concussion, or anything going on internally, no injuries. He never lost consciousness, but just fell down when it happened.
Of course, the avian vets are all out on vacation, but once they get back, we'll take him. Even though he looks fine, I want to make sure there's nothing we're missing.
Geez, it's like one thing after another with us! Boyfriend always says he has bad luck, but I think it may be fixable...
I'm just so glad nothing happened. I can't go through that hell again right now.

Once we can get a video of him doing something he loves to do, I will post it. It's the best thing ever. I'm not going to give away any details, lol.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh @aussie_wings. I'm so glad Junior is ok! You definitely don't need more stress like this right now!

Just a few days after I lost my Lilly last year, Val the budgie had not one but two collisions with a wall in our house, one after the other. No idea why, he's lived here all his life and knows the layout very well. It completely freaked me out, he seemed to be ok, he's not a very fast flyer so the collisions weren't really hard, but luckily I was able to bring his existing vet visit forward and got him seen to anyway and thank God he was ok. Lousy rotten timing for something like to happen to you too though, I hope you can get Junior seen to soon and that he's ok!🙏

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts