25 year old Quaker…help

Quakeryosh

May 6, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
Hi all,
My Quaker, Yoshi is 25 years old. We actually found him as kids, he was a tiny baby bird, blind in one eye. We weren’t sure he would survive he was so small, but he sure did!
He’s been in excellent health his whole life until Tuesday when he stopped eating and started sleeping all the time and doing some sneezing. Took him to the vet and she gave him a shot and sent him home with antibiotics and food to feed him through a syringe. She said his heart and weight were good.
Just wondering how long until we might see improvements? I have him in my room where it’s quiet, he’s warm, and he’s resting other than when we feed and medicate. He’s certainly not any worse, but other than less sneezing he’s not himself still. I realize he’s very old but am still hoping we might still get some more time with him.
Thanks for any help!

Solanyx

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
female Sun Conure
I can't give any veterinary advice but I'm sending well wishes to you and your beloved friend. I'm sure Yoshi will be better soon and appreciates the love and care you're giving him and have given him throughout his life. ❤️

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
What kind of medication is he on? And how long is he going to be on it?

25 is old! I hope I get 25 years with my Quaker!
That’s so cool that you were able to save him 😍

OP
Q

Quakeryosh

May 6, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
I can't give any veterinary advice but I'm sending well wishes to you and your beloved friend. I'm sure Yoshi will be better soon and appreciates the love and care you're giving him and have given him throughout his life. ❤️
Thank you!! ☺️

OP
Q

Quakeryosh

May 6, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
What kind of medication is he on? And how long is he going to be on it?

25 is old! I hope I get 25 years with my Quaker!
That’s so cool that you were able to save him 😍
He is on Baytril I think it is? He takes it for 7 days. We are seeing tiny steps in the right direction. He made a few noises yesterday and actually ate the food from the dropper today instead of just letting it sit in his beak.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
He is on Baytril I think it is? He takes it for 7 days. We are seeing tiny steps in the right direction. He made a few noises yesterday and actually ate the food from the dropper today instead of just letting it sit in his beak.
Oh okay, one of my cockatiels was on Baytril for 10 days, it sure helped him.
As long as he is improving, even slowly.
If he’s still not his normal self by the end of the 7 days I would call your vet as he may need a different medication.
What did the vet think he had?

OP
Q

Quakeryosh

May 6, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
Oh okay, one of my cockatiels was on Baytril for 10 days, it sure helped him.
As long as he is improving, even slowly.
If he’s still not his normal self by the end of the 7 days I would call your vet as he may need a different medication.
What did the vet think he had?
I will do that! She didn’t do any testing yet, her plan was just to start a broad treatment and then see how he does after that.

OP
Q

Quakeryosh

May 6, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
Hi, I just wanted to update this in case someone is reading through posts looking for hope like I was.
Yoshi has made a completel recovery. We are still finishing the last bit of antibiotic as the vet told us to finish the bottle, but he is back to his normal fiesty self, and I’ve never been so thankful to hear his loud, obnoxious screeching! Haha.
I did get a new cage and set things up on a lower level considering that he is 25. He has settled in and seems to be very happy in his new place :)
Thanks for all the support!

Attachments

• 78B5AD17-44DD-45BA-B895-2442BAA24F1D.jpeg
    78B5AD17-44DD-45BA-B895-2442BAA24F1D.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 28

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hi, I just wanted to update this in case someone is reading through posts looking for hope like I was.
Yoshi has made a completel recovery. We are still finishing the last bit of antibiotic as the vet told us to finish the bottle, but he is back to his normal fiesty self, and I’ve never been so thankful to hear his loud, obnoxious screeching! Haha.
I did get a new cage and set things up on a lower level considering that he is 25. He has settled in and seems to be very happy in his new place :)
Thanks for all the support!
This is great to hear!

A lower cage setup is probably a good idea at his age.
I’m so happy to hear he’s okay! 😊

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It's so heartwarming to hear that you have given Yoshi such a great life since he was a baby 25 years ago and that he's still doing well. Yoshi is truly a Forever Bird!

Most Reactions

Latest posts