Kaya

Aug 19, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Wispy (Cinnamon green cheek conure)
Rhea & Thor (Sun conure siblings)
Pheonix (Dusky lory)
Aslan'akai (Alexandrine)
Hello everyone. I haven't been on the forum in ages, but I'm back! :)
My Alexandrine (Aslan) is now about 6-7 months old. He is fully flighted, and spends all day outside of his cage when we are home. He is very bonded to me, and follows me around constantly if I leave the room. He also tries to attack my cat sometimes. (I think he is jealous).

I have recently been thinking about getting a 2nd bird. I really want something smaller to train for freeflight before I start with my Alexandrine, as it seems the risk of them flying away or getting lost would be reduced as they wouldn't fly as far if they got scared before I could call them back. I have been considering a lovebird or green-cheek conure as they are smaller and alot more social than an Alexandrine. (Or so i have heard).

I am worried about ruining my relationship with Aslan, though. He has always been fairly aggressive so I don't expect them to be friends, but I'm not sure if having a second bird would make him like me less?

Also I wonder if I could have them out at the same time? When I first got him he used to sit on a bird tree all day with my budgie, and he would only become aggressive if she got to close. (She passed away a few months ago).

I am leaning towards the lovebird, because I could fly it in a smaller area without worrying about power lines, roads, etc as much. But I really want to be able to have both birds out all the time.

OP
Kaya

Kaya

Aug 19, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Pheonix (Dusky lory)
Aslan'akai (Alexandrine)
Also here is a pic of me and Aslan! :D
2uzp92u.png

Last edited:

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
I was worried about possibly losing my bond with oxy when i was given 2 older alex's due to their owner relocating to the otherside of the country. My bond with oxy has not change much, except maybe got stronger.
I don't know about other species but oxy loves the 2 new addition, so much so that they all live in his cage now. Oxy was a little aggressive at first, even tho they are double his size, but best of buddies within a week.
Don't know if i was any help, but good luck

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Aslan is beautiful :)
I wouldn't go with a green cheek, they are wonderful birds but not very loud. When choosing a bird for free flight you want something fairly loud so it's easier to keep track of them and find them. For example, a sun conure would be a better choice.

Also be aware of all the predators in your area, especially hawks and falcons. Often a larger bird is more suited for free flying, they can better protect themselves from a larger bird and are less likely to be blown away by the wind.

OP
Kaya

Kaya

Aug 19, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Pheonix (Dusky lory)
Aslan'akai (Alexandrine)
The main issue for me is finding a big field to fly in. Everything I have found that is anywhere near big/empty enough is either right next to a main road or has huge power lines running over it.

I usually look out for predators and haven't seen any "birds of prey". There are plenty of wild cockatoo's and crows though in some of the places though. I'm unsure if they would be a problem?

Also, I was thinking of a sun conure but all my birds cages are in my bedroom and I have heard they are loud...

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
The main issue for me is finding a big field to fly in. Everything I have found that is anywhere near big/empty enough is either right next to a main road or has huge power lines running over it.

I usually look out for predators and haven't seen any "birds of prey". There are plenty of wild cockatoo's and crows though in some of the places though. I'm unsure if they would be a problem?

Also, I was thinking of a sun conure but all my birds cages are in my bedroom and I have heard they are loud...
Yup, sun conures are loud. But if you plan to buy a bird specifically for free flight that is a very good thing.

You may have to drive around some(or be driven if you're too young) to find a good place.

I'm not too sure about the wild cockatoos or crows, but I know you'll need to watch out for magpies if you have them in your area. Crows tend to leave attack larger birds who are a threat to their nest/flock, watch how they interact with the cockatoos.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Interestingly enough, many people believe that the larger birds make better free-flight birds than the smaller species.

Everything else is hit or miss. Aslan may or may not enjoy the company of another bird. He may or may not be jealous of another bird. You may or may not be able to have them out together at the same time.

Most Reactions