3 month old baby stopped eating

leslieparrot

Jun 3, 2021
leslieparrot said:
:green:Hey good dayI I cant get my young parrot to eat on his own

He is a yellow crowned amazon and he hass gotten it the hobbit of my orange winged feeding him so he don't want to eat on his own I tried grains fruits everything.

Mod note: Apparently was eating normally but stopped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'm not a breeder and haven't experienced babies for a few decades. Seems your amazon is being fed by the orange wing in a merging of instincts! Hopefully more experienced members can offer guidance to best suit each bird, especially the amazon becoming independent.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
It's not clear to me, are you saying this baby has stopped taking nourishment? Or are you saying, it was on solid foods and has gone back to prefering regurged / soft foods?

I am not a breeder and as yet have not handled chicks. But as I understand, it is normal for young birds to go back and forth from solid back to formula. IF your bird was eating solids and now another bird is feeding baby via regurg, then I would suggest offering hand-feeding formula again to the baby.

IF the baby is not taking nourishment, that is a different case and very urgent. I would recommend seeing an avian vet. (Also hopefully others who have more experience with breeding can advise also.)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sounds very odd, but clearly your Parrot had not been weaned properly and I'm not surprised your other Parrot stopped feeding your younger Parrot.

You're going to have start providing your young Parrot with soft food and work to transition to solid food.

If your Parrot refuses you're providing soft food, you need to make a mad rush to your Avian Medical Professional as young Parrots can die quickly, if not eating.

Most Reactions

Latest posts