3 Y.O Pineapple GC HELP!

dustinkirkham

Jul 24, 2021
I just adopted a 3 y.o. male Pineapple GC...I have been able to handle him and can hand feed him treats...he has been a little bitey but nothing too bad...however he is OBSESSED with my 7 year old daughter...he flies to her and flock calls CONSTANTLY if she isn't around...how to I deter him from this behavior? TIA!

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
Honestly that sounds adorable. You can't tell a birdie who their favorite is - I'd know, mine has not really picked me, even if I'm the one that bought her, takes her to the vet, and handles all manners of her care. Unless you're worried about safety for the bird or your daughter, I'd say leave it be.

You can, however, work on your bond with the bird and improve that. Try having lots of treats on you, doing trick-training/recall-training, etc. Training is a great way to improve a bond with a bird !

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If your daughter will let the conure know she ill be right back or gone for X # of hours, he will eventually calm down a bit. Its a lot to ask of a 7yr old, but it will help. My little Amazon Salty used to contact call for hours at first, but I let him know if I;ll be right back or gone for an hour, etc, and he does not get crazy with the calling.

Above advice on training is gold! Figure out his very fav treat, and you be the only one to administer it. Use it for trick training, to strengthen your bond even more.

OP
D

dustinkirkham

Jul 24, 2021
thanks yal! I still work with him alot...it doesn't bother me but I don't want him to get aggravated if he is trying to be with her and she isn't in the mood to play with him...she does very good with him and knows now when he's calling for her...I've talked to her alot about the sounds and his body movements he makes...she of course thinks it's adorable he wants her lol...but it's ok, outta all our pets if he chose her that's fine, they all seem to choose me...he's still a sweetheart to both of us...

Most Reactions

Latest posts