3D Printing - Structural Question

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Hi guys! I know people have asked on here before whether to use ABS or PLA, or if the process is safe in general. We have a Wanhao at home and too much ABS and PLA filament.

My partner is eager to print stuff since it's all food-safe and child-ok; however, I'm putting a hold on it. My main concern is that Cairo's bite can be quite strong, especially when he loves a toy. I can easily imagine him breaking through if the infill is too low. And I'm also worried if he just bites at a corner he might be able to tear off layer at a time.

Does anyone have experience with this? What are your settings to prevent such issues? We typically don't do any kind of finishing, but are there any specific finishing techniques you guys recommend?

I'd love to be able to tailor equipment and toys to him, but I just want him to be safe as well.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Haven't used a 3D Printer, so I do not have any specific advise regarding Structure or settings. But regardless, as with shopping for toys or making them, it is very important to Design and Build based around guidelines for child (baby) proof considerations.

The reality is that Parrots can and do have the strength to break pieces off if give the opportunity. Point is, it all comes back to design.

Sorry that I could not be of more specific help!

Enjoy!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I really do not know.
The only 3Dprinted objects I have held in my hande ware either rather mushy or very brittle - none of them recently!
I do not like my parrots to mess with things they can break little pieces off that are not digestable/semi-safe (even wood is not completely safe, but at least chemically speaking it can do no harm).

It may be totally fine ot it may cause mayhem...I do not know.
(Since we are in the middle of the microplastics-disaster I am not sure it would even matter that much / https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...sh-tiny-plastic-is-everywhere?t=1534842187297)

You can try but make sure you supervise the cr@p out of your bird and his toys ...
you guys can be at a great breakthrough, who knows.
(I would like to be able to print toyparts for my parrots, it would give them so much more crazy fouraging toys)

Most Reactions

Latest posts