4 month old CAG won't poop in cage

Dhigh1532

Apr 6, 2022
She pooped in it today! It took awhile (close to noon ish) and I took her out and immediately gave her a treat. What I did was, I tried moving the cage to a different location so I can keep a lookout for her, and she might have got spooked which led to the poop lol. But nevertheless she did poop and I think I?ll keep this up daily so she gets used to it once we are ready to bring her in for boarding. Thanks again for all of your suggestions, I upload a picture of her.. I?m new to this so I hope it shows up correctly.

9rPqppv
My 4 month old CAG is the same way and I am worried. I go out of town for 10 days in June. I’m worried. He will wait a LONG time to go. I dont know how to get him to use the cage! He does eventually go when I am gone but he holds it again when I get home. I worry it will harm him to hold it.
Are you still waiting on yours every day before you let her out?
I have left the soiled paper in there so he would think its ok - but so far, it hasn’t mattered

OP
D

Dhigh1532

Apr 6, 2022
I suspect she will eventually poop simply from physical necessity, though holding it in cannot be healthy.

Have you considered conditioning her that presence of poop in the cage is acceptable? Essentially, placing poop at the bottom of cage, something she'll likely immediately notice. Place newspaper in the spot she relieves herself in the morning (and throughout the day) and insert below cage - presumably there is a grate to separate. Sound like a crazy idea, worth trying?
Im
going to try that with mine. I have the same problem and will be gone 10 days in June

CraigH

Mar 31, 2022
Mine prefers to drop from any and all available heights. Is the cage large and high enough to convey that sense of height? I never lock mine in his cage—he prefers going from the perches on the outside, which I simply cover below with newspaper. He rarely leaves anything while walking around in the floor, but he’ll do it occasionally and I just wipe up with a damp paper towel. (Hardwood and tile everywhere).

I’d be curious for a more expert opinion but I can’t for an instant imagine any bird anywhere consciously holding in droppings. I wouldn’t worry.

ScottinSoCal

Sep 7, 2019
Ventura County, CA, USA
Parrots
Had a Blue Front Amazon. Now have an African Grey (CAG)
Mine prefers to drop from any and all available heights. Is the cage large and high enough to convey that sense of height? I never lock mine in his cage—he prefers going from the perches on the outside, which I simply cover below with newspaper. He rarely leaves anything while walking around in the floor, but he’ll do it occasionally and I just wipe up with a damp paper towel. (Hardwood and tile everywhere).

I’d be curious for a more expert opinion but I can’t for an instant imagine any bird anywhere consciously holding in droppings. I wouldn’t worry.
They hold it in their nest, so they don't dirty it up. Scooter's cage is sort of a split-level, with half of it very high (6+ ft.) and half of it lower (4 ft.), with a playtop. I have branches at all heights, all over the cage. She likes to go up to the highest branch in the high side, and cut there. That used to spray the wall, but I had a thin sheet of plexiglass cut, to fit the back of the cage, so now it sprays the plexiglass, and I can clean that when I clean the cage.

Attachments

• ScooterCageDrying.jpg
    ScooterCageDrying.jpg
    613.9 KB · Views: 74

Most Reactions

Latest posts