4-month-old doesn't like playgym

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
Diamond will fly away in panic if I bring him near the new tabletop gym I bought. It is based on a grapevine, which he's not had experience with. I left it in sight of his cage for a couple days, but he still won't go near it.

How should I continue his introduction to it?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Diamond will fly away in panic if I bring him near the new tabletop gym I bought. It is based on a grapevine, which he's not had experience with. I left it in sight of his cage for a couple days, but he still won't go near it.

How should I continue his introduction to it?

Diamond is still so young and will be afraid of almost anything new.

Rather avoid placing it in his cage, that is his "safe haven"

Try placing it on the floor, sit near it with him.

Have a few toys placed at the bottom of the tabletop gym.

Begin playing with the toys yourself, showing him you are having fun and it it safe.

:grey:

OP
J

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
I'm sure he doesn't like the floor in general. I have it on the kitchen table where he can see it, not too far from his "castle" (our word for his safe-haven; sounds nicer than cage). I put it on top of a TV Tray in the living room, and tried to see if he found that more likable than the back of the couch. He still spooked, and that's when I posted this.

In addition to letting him see it, I'll interact with it while he's watching.

It has a dangling toy that he's played with before, as well as one of his favorites, a foot-toy in the form of a tiny shoe.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I'm sure he doesn't like the floor in general. I have it on the kitchen table where he can see it, not too far from his "castle" (our word for his safe-haven; sounds nicer than cage). I put it on top of a TV Tray in the living room, and tried to see if he found that more likable than the back of the couch. He still spooked, and that's when I posted this.

In addition to letting him see it, I'll interact with it while he's watching.

It has a dangling toy that he's played with before, as well as one of his favorites, a foot-toy in the form of a tiny shoe.

LoL we also call Mishka's cage his "castle" :eek:

Give him time and sure he will get used to it.
Sometimes when giving Mishka a new toy, it can take ages for him to show an interest, then suddenly one day he is all over it.

OP
J

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
LoL,
The vocabulary of place-names I've consciously tried to be consistent with and use when moving to a place:

• castle
  • loft - on top of the cage
  • ??? - the drop-down mezzanine on castle
I forgot what I called the last one! What's a good name? mezzanine, porch, balcony?

I should write down the vocabulary list, to be sure I'm consistent.

I don't think he responds to speech at all, except for contact calling.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
LoL,
The vocabulary of place-names I've consciously tried to be consistent with and use when moving to a place:

• castle
  • loft - on top of the cage
  • ??? - the drop-down mezzanine on castle
I forgot what I called the last one! What's a good name? mezzanine, porch, balcony?

I should write down the vocabulary list, to be sure I'm consistent.

I don't think he responds to speech at all, except for contact calling.

I call it his castle Steven my son calls it Mishka's hotel LoL

Keep talking 24/7 and in no time will you be absolutely amazed with what he is saying

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
I like mezzanine... I always call it the landing bay though!

I've bought a couple of java trees for Alice, and both times she's been terrified at first. Both times I draped a millet spray across a branch, and kept pointing it out, then if I caught her checking it out I'd put my arm out so she could edge closer. Takes a little while but she plucks up the courage eventually and once she's had a couple of snacks there she'll be relaxed enough to step onto it without bribery, and now she enjoys both as a place to hang out.

OP
J

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
Yea, maybe I'll deck it out as a super irresistible place, with his favorite things in abundance.

Today I tried to set him on the very top, and he just about touched it before balking.

Odd, he didn't like a little 6″ perch I held toward him, either. Maybe holding it is different to him than having it grow out of the wall.

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
Yea, maybe I'll deck it out as a super irresistible place, with his favorite things in abundance.

Today I tried to set him on the very top, and he just about touched it before balking.

Odd, he didn't like a little 6″ perch I held toward him, either. Maybe holding it is different to him than having it grow out of the wall.

Hehehe :18: I never thought about it like that before, but I guess to them it really does seem as if perches grow from the walls! Let us know if you have any success in getting him onto the play gym!

OP
J

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
I'll keep my updates on this thread.

Today, he was on top of his cage ("loft") and I went over to the playgym, picked up a foot toy in the shape of a shoe, and put it in a crook. No reaction. I took a hanging toy off and brought it near him, and he eagerly grabbed one of the dangling stars. Then I took it back and he watched as I returned it to the playgym.

I was going to add a food item, but he turned directly away at this point; facing directly away is really the only position that is completely out of his peripheral vision. So he's had enough of it for one day.

Most Reactions

Latest posts