4 month old GCC only wants to be my shadow

Emozoo

Mar 22, 2020
Long Island, NY
Parrots
Bean, Pineapple Conure
Hello all!

I have had Bean for a week now-he’s 4 months old. The only thing he wants to do is sit on me, and will never go in his cage or play with toys. The time he spends in the cage, is spent chirping and trying to get out (or getting my attention). I think
He can do up/down and he can come when I call him.
Any ideas on how to make him play with toys more? Maybe he has to spend time in his cage for that to happen haha. Right now I would say he’s in his cage about 4 hours in his cage, the rest on me. :rainbow1:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
No, he doesn't need more cage time.
What he needs is more interaction time, like working with step-up and down. Moving from one hand to the other.
As you get those down, work with moving a block or lifting a block.
Use treats to encourage completion of tricks, remember its small steps, connected.
When you make playing fun, they quickly start playing on their own.

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Welcome to the joys of being owned by a Conure! :D That's why we call them the Velco bird.

There's no solution, this is the good stuff! :D

Play with him, play with toys with him, hide treats in his toys. Train him to do tricks. Train him to come on command. Most of all, enjoy the love!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Make play areas outside if cage near you. With stuff that is easy to destroy. They want something that they can rip apart easy.
Work in in the house recall training.
Work in easy forage, show him safflower seed then out a little piece if paper over it.
GCC like to untie knots, so give him some.
Set up the top of the cage with lots if perches and treats.

Most Reactions

Latest posts