5 month old sun conure eating its own poop!

Happyandzaza

May 11, 2023
Parrots
L
Hello everyone, I got this problem going on ever since 3 weeks already my bird keep eating its fresh poop, I provide him with everything needed for a healthy parrot, every fruite every vegetable, varieties of seeds and nuts, treats… just now he was having an almond nut he loves it and as soon as he pooped he threw it and he was eating the poop im very concern now as he might get sick and theres nothing to do because he can do it again when alone. I try to discourage him but he is a young bird and still training he is a training work in progress..
why is this happening and did it happen to anyone!!?

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
That is so disheartening.

I had an Amazon in her thirties that I'd adopted and she would do this.
It did turn out that she was sick and I don't think from eating her poop cause what she had was a tumor.
But I think she was eating it because she was not feeling well looking for relief or a cure...?

Maybe its just a nasty habit with your conure and is there any way to limit access to droppings? I'm sure you thought of that already.

Otherwise are you able to have general check up with bird certified vet?

Crazybirds!! What ordeals will they not put a parront through?

OP
Happyandzaza

Happyandzaza

May 11, 2023
Parrots
L
That is so disheartening.

I had an Amazon in her thirties that I'd adopted and she would do this.
It did turn out that she was sick and I don't think from eating her poop cause what she had was a tumor.
But I think she was eating it because she was not feeling well looking for relief or a cure...?

Maybe its just a nasty habit with your conure and is there any way to limit access to droppings? I'm sure you thought of that already.

Otherwise are you able to have general check up with bird certified vet?

Crazybirds!! What ordeals will they not put a parront through?
I feel bad for your bird, how long did your bird last, mine is very young I dont think she has a tumor yet due to still being a baby
I had 5 green cheeks young and adult none of them used to eat poop,
No I can not keep him away from his poop but im discouraging him, he looks very healthy and is a very bulked bird.
Im gonna have to send him to a vet , I made a booking reservation for september 8th so I can check him up all.
He makes my life better I dont mind at all I just want him safe…
But that was a good one haha… thanks

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello everyone, I got this problem going on ever since 3 weeks already my bird keep eating its fresh poop, I provide him with everything needed for a healthy parrot, every fruite every vegetable, varieties of seeds and nuts, treats… just now he was having an almond nut he loves it and as soon as he pooped he threw it and he was eating the poop im very concern now as he might get sick and theres nothing to do because he can do it again when alone. I try to discourage him but he is a young bird and still training he is a training work in progress..
That's a bummer. I'm surprised my budgie Rocky has never eaten her poop even when I was handfeeding her and she had a great appetite. She still does, and picks everything up in her beak and eats anything so it's surprising she's never done this. I would try to wipe them up as fast as you can when she's out of her cage. I can't imagine it's healthy for her but a lot of animals eat their own poop, especially dogs, and I never heard of it being dangerous. Just disgusting obviously.

OP
Happyandzaza

Happyandzaza

May 11, 2023
Parrots
L
That's a bummer. I'm surprised my budgie Rocky has never eaten her poop even when I was handfeeding her and she had a great appetite. She still does, and picks everything up in her beak and eats anything so it's surprising she's never done this. I would try to wipe them up as fast as you can when she's out of her cage. I can't imagine it's healthy for her but a lot of animals eat their own poop, especially dogs, and I never heard of it being dangerous. Just disgusting obviously.
It is disgusting and it makes me very angry because I provide him with everything needed every vitamin everything and he still choses to be nasty, not ideal for a sun conure, ive had different birds never have they ever eaten poo he totally can get sick because that its all microbes. I pray to God to save my bird from any harm, yesterday we had a good quality day with him, I took him out for car rides he enjoyed them and was very happy, he did not eat its poop at all Im trying to find out why he does it and remove that behavior from him.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It is disgusting and it makes me very angry because I provide him with everything needed every vitamin everything and he still choses to be nasty, not ideal for a sun conure, ive had different birds never have they ever eaten poo he totally can get sick because that its all microbes. I pray to God to save my bird from any harm, yesterday we had a good quality day with him, I took him out for car rides he enjoyed them and was very happy, he did not eat its poop at all Im trying to find out why he does it and remove that behavior from him.
Remember, he's a bird- he's not ungratefully trying to be nasty. I know it's difficult sometimes not to take our birds' behavior personally (unless the behavior is good, of course), but you need to try to remember this. Our pets and even our small children sometimes just don't act very civilized.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Oh yeah I am sure it's not a tumor in your conure.

I just think Abba knew she was sick and was looking for relief.
Poor thing. She lived into her thirties and then we only had her for about a year.
Which is a bit of a guilt trip. Ughhh

She was a scrappy bird that had been through a lot and our bond was immediate and strong.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I would just try to remove any fresh poops from her environment as soon as possible, not easy when she is in the cage. The cage should have bars on the floor and a space between the floor and the 'catch' pan under it. Minimal amount of poop would be on the bars and wiped frequently so she cant get to the poop. Sounds like a young bird going for soft wet mushy stuff because its like "Mother used to make". Hopefully she will grow out of the habit.

OP
Happyandzaza

Happyandzaza

May 11, 2023
Parrots
L
Remember, he's a bird- he's not ungratefully trying to be nasty. I know it's difficult sometimes not to take our birds' behavior personally (unless the behavior is good, of course), but you need to try to remember this. Our pets and even our small children sometimes just don't act very civilized.
To be honest im just worried I dont want to lose him, one day all my birds flew away and its a very tragic story for me I still miss them and blame me for what happen also I promised to never get a bird anymore because it was my fault they flew away but still could say no to this baby sun conure because I always wanted one.and now im a little bit protective I dont want to ever lose him.

OP
Happyandzaza

Happyandzaza

May 11, 2023
Parrots
L
Oh yeah I am sure it's not a tumor in your conure.

I just think Abba knew she was sick and was looking for relief.
Poor thing. She lived into her thirties and then we only had her for about a year.
Which is a bit of a guilt trip. Ughhh

She was a scrappy bird that had been through a lot and our bond was immediate and strong.
May your bird rest in peace brother hope she Is in a better place now. I know what is like to lose them :(

OP
Happyandzaza

Happyandzaza

May 11, 2023
Parrots
L
I would just try to remove any fresh poops from her environment as soon as possible, not easy when she is in the cage. The cage should have bars on the floor and a space between the floor and the 'catch' pan under it. Minimal amount of poop would be on the bars and wiped frequently so she cant get to the poop. Sounds like a young bird going for soft wet mushy stuff because its like "Mother used to make". Hopefully she will grow out of the habit.
Ok sir thanks, noted
I will do my best and try to remove this bad habit

GirlLovesBirds

Jul 31, 2023
Miami
Parrots
Guillermo (parakeet)
John (cockatoo)
Hello ,

I understand your concern about your parrot's behavior. Eating fresh poop can be unsettling. Despite your efforts to provide a healthy diet, there might be reasons such as nutrient deficiencies, instinctual behaviors, or medical concerns behind this. It's advisable to consult an avian veterinarian for guidance. In the meantime, promoting enrichment, positive reinforcement, and maintaining cleanliness can help address this behavior over time.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
To be honest im just worried I dont want to lose him, one day all my birds flew away and its a very tragic story for me I still miss them and blame me for what happen also I promised to never get a bird anymore because it was my fault they flew away but still could say no to this baby sun conure because I always wanted one.and now im a little bit protective I dont want to ever lose him.
I glad you got another bird after yours all flew away. You obviously love your birds. If it eases your mind, there's a good chance your escapees were found and are safe in someone else's care. I do HOPE you made some changes that will ensure that your new bird can't fly away too, like never going on the balcony unless caged and keeping your door shut when your bird is out of his cage. I hate to see you go through that agony again.

OP
Happyandzaza

Happyandzaza

May 11, 2023
Parrots
L
Thanks so much, those snap memories do hit me tho we had a bond very tight… thanks so much for everything

Most Reactions