6 month update

Derpology

Jun 22, 2021
USA east coast
Parrots
Rascal aprox 37 yr Cockatoo
December marks the 6th month I've been living with rascal, a 37 yr old umbrella cockatoo. As I write this Something I'm happy to say he is sitting in my lap getting head scratches and "good boy" 's its a little difficult writing with one hand but ill make due.

If your interested in my descriptions of when I first moved in with him here is my first post

note: rascal was a neglect case that I took on, It was between sitting in a basement alone until he dies or, I an unexperienced bird owner take on his care. Believe me an umbrella cockatoo is by no means my preferred species of pet bird but I wouldn't trade him for the world.

over the last 6 months rascal has made great strides I've made posts in the past updating but ill sum it up,

• rascal been taken off his seed diet and placed on a pellet diet
  • he's learned screaming wont earn him attention but clicking and talking will
  • He's learned to use foraging toys
  • his aggression has decreased but he does still bite
  • asking for head scratches and now cuddles have dramatically increased
  • while doing pressure training he decided to step up for cuddles
  • cuddles have started
  • he's learning "gentle" and mouths my fingers and hands gently
  • I've learned that store bought toys mean nothing a popsicle stick or wood chunk is the best toy
  • I've learned his body language and how he communicates
  • I've learned his schedule and how he expects his days to go
  • I've had the pee scared out of me at 3 am hearing him whisper "whatcha doin" on my way to the bathroom
  • I've learned that bites hurt but the fact I still have my fingers means he probably didn't intend on hurting me
  • I've learned his birthday is in/arround is in June 1984 just a few months short of the public release of the internet
  • ive learned that balsa wood is way too soft. he cuts through it like butter although he does enjoy it
  • its colored wood or he no chew on it. Its a deal breaker
  • IVE FOUND the perfect toy distributer, they sell pieces that are actually decent size!! I can build him block toys that are tough enough for him (their big ol blocks). I can get ~9cm x ~9cm x ~3 cm squares wich I struggle to find elsewhere. They're a small business and I feel good that I'm able to support them and find affordable toys for him. I keep an eye out for the 2nd quality marked item as their usually less. I stocked up for approx. 2-3 months of blocks for about $130USD wich is good enough for me. I've spent more on less for him.
I hope to work on his dust and getting a new cage next along with his over preening. Now that I've really gotten to have a good close look at him. Rascal shreds the feathers on his back under and around his wings. I'm going to work on that with him and start on some research.

Thank you everyone whos given me encouragement and advice :white1:
arround here somewhere I've linked some photos I took of him while writing this, I've been working on this for a while so ill wrap it up here. Thank you lots

Attachments

• WIN_20211206_18_20_52_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20211206_18_20_52_Pro.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 105
  • WIN_20211206_18_18_26_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20211206_18_18_26_Pro.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 107
  • WIN_20211206_18_18_44_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20211206_18_18_44_Pro.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 107
  • WIN_20211206_18_17_22_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20211206_18_17_22_Pro.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 107
D

Deleted member 42416

What a sweet boy!! We have a rescue LSSC, Rico. He is only 5 yo though. We had to put him on Haldol to curb his plucking. I also bought him a cotton mop head to “preen” (saw that idea on-line).

You have done amazing things with Rascal and my prayers go out to you both for continuing progress on your beautiful journey together!

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
What a beautiful relationship you’re creating with Rascal! Hope you keep us updated from time to time and keep up the great work!

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Thats Amazing you've accomplished all that great work!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You, my dear, have earned a place in the afterlife place of your beliefs. Parrots are all smart, but I think 'toos are most like people in their emotions. Its why they seem so needy compared to most parrots; they, like people, need companionship.

Most Reactions

Latest posts