7 years old and only says "Hello"

henry0reilly

Mar 2, 2017
Parrots
YNA (Mad) Max aka Mean Max Green ~2002
Sulfur Crested ‘too Babybird 2015
Every day I tell Baby, "You're the prettiest cockatoo I ever met, and LOUD, there couldn't be a cockatoo louder than you, and you know what? I bet you're the smarted cockatoo on Walnut Street." Sometimes I'll say "Pretty bird" several times. If she's screaming I yell, "Hey Baby, what's for dinner? .. Cockatoo stew!"

She hasn't picked up any of these words or expressions. There's a loop recording on YouTube of the chorus including whistling of Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" And she will try to do the whistling part if I sing the words.

Mad Max (20 yo yna) doesn't talk when anyone is in the room except to say "hello" when the phone rings or if he's stressed, but sometimes he'll talk up a storm when no one is in the room. I can't understand what he's saying but it's definitely human words.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Cockatoos are not noted for being great talkers and if they manage to say stuff, its in that really rough cockatoo voice. You may recognize some words but strangers will only hear the cocky's natural voice.

Talking ability in any given individual parrot is really hit or miss. Some greys never utter a single word. My little Amazon Salty - his species is not noted for talking ability, but he says a whole lot of stuff very clearly, when he wants to.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
It's just so amazing... every bird is its own bird, so to SPEAK... :)
Some never talk, some defy all expectations.

I'm glad you're here!

I'll bet this bird has some other special ability, maybe well-hidden. You sound like a passionate and meticulous owner... you'll find it!

OP
henry0reilly

henry0reilly

Mar 2, 2017
Parrots
YNA (Mad) Max aka Mean Max Green ~2002
Sulfur Crested ‘too Babybird 2015
You sound like a passionate and meticulous owner... you'll find it!
Actually we would love to rehome both birds together. We took them in when the previous owner was moved to a nursing home. We're much too old to expect to be their forever home. I'm looking at "A place to call home" sanctuary in Connersville, Indiana.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Thanks for being so good to take in these birds until you find something.
I hope you find a great home for them!

Most Reactions

Latest posts