9-months old ringneck

Putin22

Apr 6, 2021
Hello, I have ringneck parrot for 4 months now. I am spending as much time as I can with him/her. I bought him from man who had these parrots in outside cage.

First he was scared but now, if i put my hand into his cage he is trying to fast bite my hand. If I am near his cage and talking, he comes near my face and tries to bite me through cage.

If I open his cage he climbs up on the top, but he is just sitting here. I taught him to step on the stick. If he is outside, he has no problem on going on stick, but if I take him like 2 meters away from cage, he flies back on the top of the cage.

Can you give me some advice please how to teach him staying on stick? I would like to put him on table or into my hand, but he is just trying to bite or flies away.

Should I let him bite me few times without moving my hand away?

Thanks for advices. :) (I used HIM, idk what gender it is so dont mind this please)

Last edited:

Gemster

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 4, 2019
Media
Parrots
Valentine-budgie (M),
Daphne-budgie (F)
Rip-Sky
Rip-Bell
He views the cage as his safe place and taking him away will only stress out; there are more steps you could take in order to reach that goal.
You can use counter conditioning to teach him that treats come when you are in his presence.
You could place the treat in front of him if he is uncomfortable with you feeding directly from the hand; do not come too close as to stress him out though.

You should not allow a bite to take place and try your best to avoid being bitten. The more a behaviour is practised, the more likely it is to occur in the future. It soon becomes an immediate reflex.
He should not be in a situation where he feels the need to bite.

I’m sure others will chime in and share more ideas.

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
As said above, he feels safe in his cage. However, you are pushing yourself on him too fast. If you are putting your hands in his cage he will feel like he had to defend it more. You need to stop doing what is making him want to bite you. When he tries to bite you he is telling you that he does not like what you are doing. If you don't pick up the subtle cues that he is unhappy you give him no choice, but to bite, this teaches him that you don't understand him either! Give him more space and let him learn that you bring good things like treats, even if you have to drop a treat in his cage and then back off while talking to him gently.

You have to put the work in before he will trust you enough to be taken away from his cage.

Most Reactions

Latest posts