9 week old cockatiel, not wanting to fly!

Jobiness

Apr 4, 2018
Media
Parrots
Bobbie - Green cheeked conure
So, I bought a 9 week old, AVAIRY BRED cockatiel the other day... after an hour of having her, she seemed to be happy enough sitting on my hand and letting me stroke her, even sitting on my shoulder. (Which is weird because she has never been in contact with a person before, so I thought I would try it and was successful) My main concern is that, she doesn't fly very well, or at all. If she is placed on the floor of the cage, so will do anything else BUT use her wings, she mainly uses them for balancing when shes about to slip. The problem is, im worried this is going to affect her, yes she eats, drinks and sleeps... but shes hardly moving around the cage because she isn't using her wings, she will pretty much just sit where you placed her last and when shes out, she does the same thing.
It might be nothing, but I think its unfair that she isn't flying.. especially when she was briefly flying before in a aviary. Many thanks.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I share your worry...

While she is very young, and may just not be ready, I'm a better-safe-than-sorry type. The inactivity concerns me. I'd get her checked out by a certified avian vet. It's good to have one on hand, anyway, and a great way to start out your relationship with your bird.

We have some cockatiel experts and breeders here who will have more to contribute.

Good for you for being vigilant and reaching out. Sounds like you have a real sweetheart there!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
As a new owner one of the first things you should do is schedule her for a wellness check with your certified avian vet. They will be able to do a physical, check her wings over for any past injuries and can even test her blood to check for potential diseases that may be hindering her flying.

After she gets a clean bill of health and a physical and is still not flying, well, some birds simply never learned to fly, but get good at climbing. You can train her on a T stand and get her to start jumping to perches or your arm and increase the distance between perches until she begins to flutter and glide, then fly. Look up flight recall on youtube for some cool instructional videos.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
agreed with the posts above, another point to add is that she may be so stunned that she is unsure what to do and may take some more time to settle in and find her confidence to get flapping. I would definitely get the vet check just to be safe but outside of that it could just be a case of time

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Indeed; I’m concerned about the lack of flying as well and I wonder about an injury making it uncomfortable for her to fly. Please take her to a certified avian vet and let us know what you find out!

Also, isn’t it amazing how confident a bird can be when they are allowed to fly and wean properly, such as when their own parents raise them??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jobiness

Apr 4, 2018
Media
Parrots
Thankyou, that's already on my list and she is seeing someone in a couple of days.
I was just a little worried as I have had cockatiels over the years and ive never encountered this problem before.
She isn't lazy as she does play with her toys etc and walks about outside the cage.
Hopefully nothing is wrong with her wings and I can start teaching her to fly as she does flap them about and stretch them, she briefly flew earlier but by the look of it she panicked half way through and landed on the sofa straight away.
Im hoping its just the nerves *Fingers crossed*

OP
J

Jobiness

Apr 4, 2018
Media
Parrots
Indeed; I’m concerned about the lack of flying as well and I wonder about an injury making it uncomfortable for her to fly. Please take her to a certified avian vet and let us know what you find out!

Also, isn’t it amazing how confident a bird can be when they are allowed to fly and wean properly, such as when their own parents raise them??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have her all booked in for 2 days time, though I don't believe it is injury as she is only 9 weeks old and was flying fine in her aviary with her parents and siblings.

I know! I was so shocked especially with the lack of the human touch, and after an hour or two aswell. she is 100% bonded with me already... but personally I believe its because she chose me, as none of her siblings would come out, she was happy sitting on the chicken wire until I chose her to come home with me and since allowed me to stroke her, scratch her head, sit on my shoulder, take food from my hand!

I thought I could never love another cockatiel again after my last one, Sootie died of old age (Hand reared and hand tamed) but... Im in LOVE already with Kiwi!!!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
A warm welcome to you and Kiwi!!

Being "chosen" is a giant leap toward a lasting bond and relationship. I hope the vet visit goes well.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forums!!!

ONCE, you have visited your Certified Avian Vet (CAV) and received a physical you will be in a much better position to determine step two.

IF, you get a clean bill of health, you can go to the Amazon Forum found here on the Parrot Forums and take a look at the Second Sticky Thread near the top of the page titled I Love Amazons. In that huge Thread, you will find a segment on Refledging Older Amazons. You will find this very helpful in the process of teaching (helping) your Cockatiel to fly.

OP
J

Jobiness

Apr 4, 2018
Media
Parrots
Hello everyone!

So Kiwi is all healthy and I had a nice clean bill for her health! *Phew*
Turns out, she was just scared!
After see the avian vet, I brought her home, fed her some treats and turns out today was the day she wanted to fly about aha!

She's still a little clumsy, and of course im still going to have to help her through it - but what a cute little bugger!

Just now to teach her to come over to me and let the flying lessons begin!
When it comes to getting her to come to me, has anyone got any tricks that work really well?
Thanks for all your help!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
food is always a good option haha

I found the best trick is to start with the step up training, then once that's down put them some where and hold your finger about an inch away from them so they have to hop to get on you, give your command then when they hop on give your treat, each time they do it move a step further away

good to hear she's all okay, of course when you get back she does it haha!

OP
J

Jobiness

Apr 4, 2018
Media
Parrots
Ah i'll just keep doing that then!
I cant expect to much from her bearing in mind ive not really had her that long, but she is doing amazing on her progress daily!

Yeah I know, typical isn't it! she made me all worried about her!
Im just glad she is flying, Cheeky madam! :D

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
yeah she's definitely enjoying you!

My conure was similar with holding back. He wanted nothing to do with me for a week, then just when I was losing hope of him bonding to me... BOOM recall trained before he knew how to step up. Birds are strange :p

OP
J

Jobiness

Apr 4, 2018
Media
Parrots
haha, that's what I love about birds, they have there own character!
Thankyou for all your help though, im sure ill be posting more things about her as the days go by!

Most Reactions